Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Electrical -Please Help- PCM/BCM Codes I've never seen before

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Electrical -Please Help- PCM/BCM Codes I've never seen before

Hey guys,
Let me start off by say I know the bare minimum about my Monte's electrical and I may sound like a newb here but I could really use some help.

Recently went in for Ontario's E-Test/Smog Test which ever you'd like to call it. There is no sniffer/detector device anymore as our provinces legislation has changed. The test are all done with Code Readers now.
I have my own code reader so I went into the Test very confident knowing I'd pass and i did, with flying colours, despite the Exhaust Modifications.
When the technician plugged his reader in 4 new codes popped up that Ive never seen on my reader before. Sure enough when I get home the same 4 codes are now on my reader.
They are as follows.

b1001 - Option Configuration Error
u1016 - No Communication with Power Train Control Module
u1096 - No Comm. with Instrument Cluster
u1064 - No Comm with Body Control Module

These are completely new to me and I dont even understand the Jargin that comes along with the diagnostics manual i have. The car seems to operate fine, and the only known issue i have is a very common one where the door seal above the drivers window is ripped where i grab the door to close it and allows water to drip onto the drive side floor mat. only during a heavy rain tho

Now a little background on the Car - It has an aftermarket Remote starter with separate FOB.
There are no other codes being shown, the car Runs Great. My instrument cluster had new motors put in last fall and has no issues, all guages are working fine. I have no warning lights on my dash during regular operation, However when i turn the key to ACC/ON when i start the car the Battery Warning Flashes and chimes as well the PassLock/Security Symbol, but only for a few seconds then they both go away.

If anyone has any experience or tips/suggestions to help out a troubled Monte owner it would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-15-2014, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member

I checked the ground underneath the airbox, cleaned it up, though it looked pretty good to me, i checked all the connections at the bcm, they seem to be good, i checked all my fuses with an ohmeter, all is good there.
I'm really confused by all of this.
The only out the ordinary thing i'm noticing is my battery voltage is at about 10 or 11 volts when key is in acc or on position, but once i start the car and the engine is running it jumps up to 13 or 14 volts

Thoughts, suggestions, anyone.... bump bump

Old 06-16-2014, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member

Put a meter on my battery today, it still has a true 12 volts
I was reading the graduations on the guage wrong.
This tells me I have a good strong battery, I've never actually had any issues with it.

So I went back over all my grounds with any ohm meter, good strong signals with all of them.

The local "automotive electrical guru" is pointing me in the direction of my starter switch.
But I'm not having any issues with the car starting, so I'm a little confused. Thoughts anyone?

I'm losing sleep over these codes and not being able to solve the issue is driving me nuts and bolts.

Can someone please shed some light on this for me.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

It sounds to me like the PCM was not properly flashed (not all options recognized) or the VIN in the PCM, BCM or SDM don't match. The other 3 codes are related to the B1001 code.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:10 AM

unhook battery, let sit 20 min, rehook it back up. drive car

do the codes come back? if not, my hunch is that when the person plugged in their scan tool, it interrupted the comm's to the pcm and gave you these codes.

if your car starts and runs, im pretty sure you are fine based on the info you have given

Old 06-18-2014, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member

Hey guys,
Thanks for the tips.
I let car sit dead for close to 30 minutes.
Reconnected battery terminals. Turned key to ON position.
Every light on dashboard lights up, same as before, Gauges drop to Zero and come back.
Battery and Security Light Flash Repeatedly.
Start Engine, Rolls over wiith no issues, Battery Light Flashes for a second and Chimes 4 times. gauges drop to zero and come back up.
No more warning lights on Cluster, All gauges work, Stereo Works, All Buttons on Both Stock and After Market FOB Work Car Drives Fine. Remote Start Still Works

Still have half a dozen Communication Class 2 Module Codes

Tried the 10 minute ON Position Reset for the BCM - Had no luck there either.

I ohmed out everything i could find and have good strong signals with everything, cant find anything going to ground.

What am I missing?

Old 06-18-2014, 02:11 PM

unhook battery cables.
connect the + and - wires together and hold for 1 min.
this will "hard" reset the pcm and bcm
reattached cables and start car to see if it does it.

if it still does it, i personally would go down to the shop that did this and make them fix it because it wasnt there before they touched the car.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks for all your help.
I will try the "hard" reset tomorrow morning.

The part that really confuses me is Ive never seen this codes before, and the cars been my daily driver or quite some time. I haven't had any recent electrical work done to it, I dont have much for aftermarket electrical. So its not like i need to "ReLearn" the car.

Ive never had any of the modules replaced, everything is original and stock, so why would i be getting an option configuration error DTC. All of my modules should still be programmed from factory 9 years ago.

The other part that kind of boggles my mind is everyone who has had similar issues cant start their car, mine runs great. All my electronics work great.

Gosh, this is frustrating, I'm not sure I even know what a normal start up even looks like anymore, Im so used to seeing my Cluster light up like a Christmas Tree, Bells and Chimes dinging in my ear. But once I start the car and the engine rolls over everything goes back to normal.

Does anyone had a video of what a Normal Start up looks like as far as dash lights and warning lights go. Just for reference

Old 06-19-2014, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member

Side note: I have been hauling a lot of stuff in and out of my truck lately, right next to my onstar panel (useless hunk of plastic that takes up trunk space - havent had onstar since free trial ended) so im going to check everything back there to make sure my connections are good. I know its a long shot, but with these montes there are a lot of ghosts in our wires.

Also i found a service bulletin relating directly to this issue - no recall, just a TSB (gettin real sick o' your $#!T GM) I think its like 09-06-03-004D - Ill google to confirm.
But it basically states a technician will diagnose based on like 3 different conditions, Depending on which module is throwing codes. Then they do like a process of elimination. (i forget the logistics - i worked night shift and read this on my phone at break, and now im quite tired and going to bed) but depending on which signal goes where, they apply dielectric to the connectors to overcome the "fretting" of the pins and allows for a stronger, more consistent signal.

Looks like im going to pick up some dielectric grease tomorrow.
Now i have a few questions,

I'm aware the BCM is hidden beneath Drivers kick plate at the E brake, there is also a ground there. - Should i be considered about reprogramming or "Relearning" the BCM after i disconnect the plugs and put the grease on them?

I plan on cleaning every ground and battery terminal and applying said grease to them as well. Can someone tell me where all the grounds in our montes our located? I've googled multiple things and can only come up with wiring charts, no actual diagrams.

I want to check the connections at the PCM, but i have no idea it is. Does anyone have any photos or Descriptions of where the PCM is? I'm pretty usesless

i think thats all i have for now - thanks again guys

Old 06-19-2014, 11:52 AM

the PCM in my 03 is located behind my air filter on the drivers side front corner(inside the air filter housing). since its an 05 i would think it should be in the same spot. did you check the connector that the scan tools get plugged into? maybe a prong got bent when they plugged their tool in, or a wire popped loose? i would double check the scan tool connector because it sounds like its not allowing the scan tool to read from it properly, and for you to have NO issues at all, to a bunch of them....that would be the first place i would check. Normally when you get codes stating that your computers are not communicating, something is disconnected or shorted out. i know you said you checked fuses, but did you check all the fuses in the car AND under the hood?

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Electrical -Please Help- PCM/BCM Codes I've never seen before