Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

need help car problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 05:20 AM
Default need help car problem

ok my 99 monte carlo keep loosing power then shutting off acted like altnator was bad bought new 1 still did it so bought a battery ran fine for a day now it needs a jump to start and dies seems like altnator is not workin and usaging all the power in battery then when no power in battery car shuts off tell jump then when is jumps runs for maybe 2 mins band new altenator and battery what else can it be it starts up fine when i got power so i dont think starter fuse maybe?? dunno some please help me tho this is very very agervating dropin 300 in it still nothin different please help thanks in advance

Old 05-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

does the car try to crank around at all or does it just do nothing / make a "clickclickclick" sound? could be a fuel delivery problem, or there could be something draining the battery. loose ground / wire. is the car an LS or a Z34? how many miles are on it? and have you or a previous owner done any mods, like an aftermarket radio, remote starter, alarm, ect?

Old 05-29-2010, 12:12 PM

use to be my grandmas car yes aftermarket radio radio been in for 5 years it is a ls and it clicks and power goes out somthin is draning battery if i jump it starts battery is like not getting recharged its new not even 3 days old and it has like 200600 miles on it lil over 2ooooo

Old 05-29-2010, 12:13 PM

and yes it doesd have remote starter

Old 05-31-2010, 08:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i've heard of & seen personally aftermarket goodies like the remote starter and / or the sterio causeing a power drain on the battery. especially on higher milage vehicles. there is a really good chance of it being a short in the wiring or a loose / missing ground somewhere in eather system that is sapping the energy from the battery.

i would start with the remote starter, the only way i know of is to go through the wiring and look for something thats loose, broken, frayed, corroded, ect. i doubt it would be a safety swich because the vehicle still trys to crank over ( the clickclickclick). if you have a test light that would make it easyer to look over.

i know my buddies old truck would crap out because a ground wire for his taillights was loose, and whenever he would turn his lights on there would be a massive power drain & it would die right in the road. scince your car has had someone install aftermarket electronics, my guess would be that they are causing the problem.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:42 PM

well if its not re charging look at your alternator too or if you have a good voltmeter check voltage on the battery after jumping to see if its good and if you do have one check ground on the battery to the frame to see how well its grounding and check voltage after turning off...it should not go below 12.4-12.6 with the key off and nothing left on