Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

multifunction switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default multifunction switch

ok guys had issues with headlights and turns out it was my multifunction switch so i switched it out but my airbag light came on and i put the computer to it and it said no communication....ive checked voltage..fuses and even disconnected the battery and nothing yet. The computer read everything from radio to engine to brakes but no airbags. any ideas? only thing im thinking is the airbag fuse wiring behind the box is a possiblity. im out of options.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What year Monte?

Just a shot in the dark, since this happened after working on the Multi-Function switch, you either disconnected a wire for the clock spring or damaged a wire for the clock spring. The clock spring allows steering wheel to turn and permit the air bag to connect to the air bag system. Almost every wire for the air bag system has a yellow connector and wiring wrapped in yellow.
Or perhaps the clock spring itself is damaged.

My guess to test it would be disconnect the battery, then pull the air bag out and disconnect it. Disconnect the back side of the clock spring and use a volt meter to see if you can get continuity across the clock spring for all the wires for the air bag.

Again, just some off the top guesses.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member

thanks The_Maniac its a 2004 supercharged. yeah i was watching a few vids and most tell you to disconnect the battery before changing the switch We were really careful making sure we didnt disconnect wires but ya never know. Gonna try the clock spring then after i try the airbag module under the passenger seat that i googled. they say that goes bad as well. These multifunction switches are a pain.this is my 2nd one in 10 years owning this car. thanks again for the quick reply!!!

Old 12-17-2014, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member

found it..seems it was my airbag module which i kinda figured after the airbag fuse was blown. talked to a chevy tech and said thats the most common flaw with most chevy's. jeez another task awaiting. I know most of the members here that have changed the multifunction switch dont need to remove the airbags(depending on the year) but i would most deff advise to disconnect the battery as i was told a slight power surge or spark wil fry that airbag module. I'm still confused on why and how but for 20 seconds it takes to disconnect a battery terminal i guess it wouldnt hurt.