Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

replacing the multifunction switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default replacing the multifunction switch

Hello all. My 99 Z34 has the multifunction switch problem. I have asked about this before,so now I have more questions.My car has the radio controls in the steering wheel and an airbag.How hard are these to remove so I can pull the wheel? Also,what is bad on the MFS that cant be repaired? What other MFS fit that dont have this problem? Ive tightened the columns on other GM vehicles,even a Caddy w/tilt/tele.That was fun!My car has a broken flasher button also.It was in the console.Any advice on this repair?I appreciate any info.Thanks from Muley.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

its not too bad of a job to do if you have some experince with steering colums. i would call it a weekend job if you take your time, or a few hour job once you've done one.

make sure you have the battery diconected for a few hours before you start, so that the air bag will not deploy accidentaly. it just unbolts behind the wheel, then when you pull it out it unplugs. you'll need a steering wheel puller tool, sold at any auto parts store, and make sure you have the steering wheel straight before you start. then use masking tape to mark the position of the wheel on the wheel and colum, so that when you re-assemble everything will line up properly.

the steering wheel controls will stay in the wheel, they plug into the wheel through the multifunction switch as well. my LS does not have the steering wheel controls, but the switch i bought ( $60 ish at advance auto) had the plug in for the steering wheel buttons. i thought i was missing something for a while, lol

the flasher button on mine was MIA too, after i fixed the MFS switch i got one and it just poped back into the hole on the top of the steering colum. havent had any problems with it yet

and if you dont already have one, i would suggest getting a haynes repair manuel for your car, not the best money can buy but they do have some of the answers.

good luck on the repair!