Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Master Cylinder Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Default Master Cylinder Replacement

I was hoping someone here would be able to help me out. I have a 1997 Z34 and all of the sudden the brakes started dragging. It seems like the brake pedal is not returning all the way. If I put my foot under the pedal an lift it manually the brakes release. I spoke to several people and the general suggestion is to replace the master cylinder and/or the brake booster. Some people told me to install a spring from the pedal to the dash to lift the pedal. I don't really want to "rig" something so that it works, I would rather fix the problem.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas? I have looked into replacing the master cylinder but I have been told repeatedly that I have to do a "Gear Tension Relief Sequence" with a ABS Scan tool to safely separate the Master from the ABS Module. Can anyone tell me how to do this without a ABS Scan Tool? Or do I really have to relieve the tension on the gears to remove the master cylinder?

Thanks
John