Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Major Short To Ground

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Major Short To Ground

First I had the ICM go out, and that grounded my monte for like two weeks. Now I have a major short to ground, causing it to be undrivable again. What's happening is all the electronics shut off. Everything. Not even a check engine light when turning the key to ON. This has happened twice now, and both times it has fixed itself on its own overnight. But I want to eliminate this issue. I already checked most of the electrical stuff I've done to the car. Mainly unplugging some added lights, checking for wires the windows might've cut into, and taping up all the unplugged connectors in both doors that are no longer used (speakers/switches). I haven't unplugged my dash cam yet, but I might have a theory on what it could be. I completely disconnected the battery while I was addressing all the electronics I've messed with. When I was done, I reconnected it and turned the key to ON. All the usual lights came on. I thought I had fixed it until I tried turning the engine over. As soon as I tried to engage the starter, all the lights immediately went out again. Making me believe the short could be the starter itself, or something in the starter wiring. I did a quick check of the wiring at the starter, and didn't see anything obvious.

Is there something I should check that is known to cause an issue like this?

Old 05-01-2020, 08:31 AM

I wouldn't think it could be any lights, windows, etc because all that stuff should be fused. If something inside the device or in the wiring was majorly shorted to ground, it would blow the fuse immediately and wouldnt come back on.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-01-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I wouldn't think it could be any lights, windows, etc because all that stuff should be fused. If something inside the device or in the wiring was majorly shorted to ground, it would blow the fuse immediately and wouldnt come back on.
Could it possibly be a bad starter, or starter relay?

Edit: Scratch that. I believe I found the issue. A while ago I installed the ZZP alternator rewire, which routes a thick guage wire from the alternator post directly to the underhood fuse/relay panel. The connector on the fuse/relay panel side was very corroded. I disconnected all the wires from both fuse/relay panel posts and wire brushed it all. I moved the ZZP wire from the bottom post which I had it installed to prior, and installed it to the top post this time. Would the connectors proximity to the battery cause corrosion? It is what looks like a copper connector, or at least copper coated. There is also zero corrosion on the alternator side. Everything seem to work fine now. I'm hoping that is the only issue.

Last edited by WolvenScout; 05-01-2020 at 05:47 PM.