Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

99 Z34 Starter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Default 99 Z34 Starter Problems

I am having problems with what I believe is my starter. I put a new battery in after the only way to get the car started was to jump it. Now when I turn the key I hear just a clunking sound as if the starter is trying to engage. I thought that maybe the new battery was low but I jumped the car and it still makes the sound. when the battery was low it would make the famous rattle sound this is like the solenoid is engaging but not the starter. When I did have it running before when I had jumped it I could tell that there was maybe a dead spot in the starter because I would turn the key and nothing and then I would turn it again and it would start. How do I test the starter while it is still in the car? And if I need to replace it what is the best way.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Bob:
Thanks for joining the MCF.
I'm guessing you have a 3800? How many miles on it?

It sounds to me like the starter is either loose and cant/wont engage/possible solenoid or its time for new one... I would highly recommend pulling the starter out and take it to your local auto parts to get it tested. During the uninstall besure to dbl check all the electrical connecters, wireing etc..for bare spots,loose wires connections, possibly it could be grounding out on the frame, exhaust etc.... Generally these cars don't normally have starter issues.... Usually a bad battery, connection issue. Pls besure to check back with us and let us know what you found to be the problem.

Thanks for joining the MCF Family!

Old 12-14-2013, 07:47 AM

One trick to testing a starter is have someone try starting it and you then hit it with a hammer. The shock of the impact most of the time will get the contacts connected and it will start. But if you have plenty of power and you hear the starter tick when trying to start then it is deff a problem with the starter