Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Major Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 03:33 PM
Default Major Electrical Issues

I have problems and situations going on with my 86SS. The only way I can get it to run at all is by running a direct power wire from the battery to the distributor. I have been told that there are these little things in the wiring called fusable links, but I can't seem to find them. Anyone with a wiring diagram or who knows where these things are please help.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Default RE: Major Electrical Issues

most of the time they are a wire that runs from the bat. to the starter or from the starter to the hei. they look like a regular wire untill they go bad then they turn to rubber like stuff.

if you feel one you will know exactly what im talking about .

Also another thing is to check to find out if your ING. switch it working correctly. they have a wire that runs from them to the HEI to Ecite the dist. it will plug on to the ele. part under the rotor ( for some reason i cant remeber the name right now) But if this wire dose not have power comming to it it could be a result of the fuse being bad, or from the wire being grounded or shorted out.

Beliv ein that year it was a green wire that ran threw the fire wall to the back of the ING. If this is right try jumpng it with a new wire and try to fire the car. if it works your wire will be bad. If not figure out if you can find a IGN. switch or test the power out put and input to the switch and make sure you have power there.
If you have it all good then start looking for the rest of the wires in the starting system to make sure they are good and not cut or grounding out.

at night you can chek to see if they are gournign also but becareful. start the car in a dark place with no lights on open the hood and take out the light and then look for sparks comming otu of places you know there should not be any. If there is you have found your short.

also a good continuty tester will do this for you but takes some time to check each wire but will also test a fusebel link.

Good luck