Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Lowering fuel tank 05 monte

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You already have my input.

Assuming the shop book is correct, you don't need to drop the tank to change the lats. There process has you dropping/lowering the carrier or cradle that the rear suspension all bolts to.

I've never changed rear lats on these cars (only trailing arms). So, I honestly can't say if the shop book is wrong or not. Hopefully someone with experience chimes in.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:18 PM
1 Year Member

I know for a fact that the gas tank needs to be moved to change the rear front lateral links. The rear rear ones do not require the gas tank to be moved. I need the rear front links changed there for I know the tank needs to be moved. I had tried to replace them when I discovered the tank needs to be moved so that the bolt holding the links in the center of the car can be removed.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by sdowney
I know for a fact that the gas tank needs to be moved to change the rear front lateral links. The rear rear ones do not require the gas tank to be moved. I need the rear front links changed there for I know the tank needs to be moved. I had tried to replace them when I discovered the tank needs to be moved so that the bolt holding the links in the center of the car can be removed.
Did you explore dropping the cradle as suggested by the manual? Usually the manual is on point but there are always other ways to do stuff.

Also, I may have missed it but you stayed stock (links)?

Old 11-23-2013, 12:27 PM
1 Year Member

My friend and I are just gonna have to get under the car and see what we can figure out.
I dont know what you mean by "stock" links. Theyre were all pretty much the same on rockauto.com howevery I did purchase MOOG links. They had good reviews and were a great price.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by sdowney
My friend and I are just gonna have to get under the car and see what we can figure out.
I dont know what you mean by "stock" links. Theyre were all pretty much the same on rockauto.com howevery I did purchase MOOG links. They had good reviews and were a great price.
Forgive the lingo; are you re-installing the stock bars but after market bushing or bolts?

Old 11-26-2013, 10:01 PM
1 Year Member
Default The project is done

I replaced the lateral links and got an alignment an the car is like new again. I dropped the gas tank down by simply in bolting the straps and disconnecting the hose that comes from fuel door at the tank. I recommend having as little gas in the tank as possible. The job was took all day. Would of been easier if it wasn't 15 degrees outside. I used the same bolts and bushing and ordered new links on rock auto and everything went well.

Thanks all for the help!