Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Lowering fuel tank 05 monte

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 12:43 PM
1 Year Member
Default Lowering fuel tank 05 monte

Hi all,
I need to replace my rear front lateral links on my car. That's not the problem though. The problem is the fuel tank is in the way of the bolt coming out all the way. It appears all I have to do is undo the bolts and carefully lower the tank down but I just wanted to check to see if I'm under estimating the difficulty to do this. Any advise or tips?

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just taking a look in the shop book, they have you lower what I consider to be a cradle or carrier (the main body of the rear suspension that the lats bolt to) in order to gain access to the bolts.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:52 PM
1 Year Member

Interesting because I had the rear of the car jacked on stands and was looking at it and the bolts holding the straps that hold the tank were very easy to see

Old 11-15-2013, 03:31 PM

10 Year Member

Doesn't mean there isn't more then one way to do things.

Personally, I'd be nervous dropping the tank if I don't have to. GM designed the cars with access to get to the fuel pump without dropping the tank, so there *might* be reasons we don't see recommending against dropping the tank. Also, the tank on these cars is made of plastic, they are not steal.

Just food for thought. I'm guessing there is less involved lowering that cradle.....

Old 11-15-2013, 03:55 PM

Damn, I wanted to need to redo my rear lat links but this doesn't sound as easy as I thought it was going to be...

Good info Maniac, thank you.

Johnny

Old 11-16-2013, 10:05 AM
1 Year Member

I don't really have a choice. I have to at least lower just the back of the gas tank so I can get the bolt out cuz my lateral links desperately need to be changed. I think I can figure something out, I was just looking for some advise

Old 11-17-2013, 12:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you must lower the gas tank, you're going to need to do this:

Take off your gas cap. Release the pressure via the fuel rail. Go in your trunk or under your backseat. Disconnect the fuel lines going to the pump/sending unit. Disconnect/unbolt filler neck. Remove any hoses coming from the tank. Hopefully you won't need to drop the exhaust. Get a floor jack with a big head, so you can lower the tank. Remove your straps and make sure the jack fits flush and the tank will not fall, it would be a good idea to have someone help you.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:12 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks all!

Old 11-17-2013, 09:59 PM

10 Year Member

That sucks. I know sometimes what the shop book claims vs what you have infront of you can vary. Normally the book is fairly spot on, but I'll nibble, I've seen it happen where the book is also "perfect" and "ideal" conditions.

I hope it pans out no matter what you have to do to make it happen!!

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Get a floor jack with a big head, so you can lower the tank.
Can also use a piece of plywood on the saddle of a jack for more surface area to support the tank. Trick is balancing. Try to do it with an empty tank too.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:13 PM

Any updates? So, do you in fact have to lower the tank? I'll be checking this weekend on my rig just wanted to see if you have had any progress?

Quick Reply: Lowering fuel tank 05 monte