Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Lights flickering & car stalling

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Default Lights flickering & car stalling

I posted this in another section of the forums, but am thinking it may be better suited for you trouble solvers of the board.

I have a 1996 Monte Carlo Z34

Alright let's see if I can explain this well enough to be understood without actually seeing what's happening. I'll start this off by mentioning the battery, and starter are brand new, and I have bypassed my security system when it decided to crap the bed on me and leave my car stranded at my work parking lot for a month before I finally figured out what the problem was (which is why I have a new battery and starter, also a new neutral safety switch, the one on the transmission, not the one under the dash).

The car will start just fine (most of the time) even after sitting for more than 3 days without running.
The other day I got to work and rolled up my window, while in park, and the RPM gauge jumped from 1 to 5, but no revving of the engine happened while I did this. Also while rolling up the window the headlights would dim, and if I did this long enough or in rapid succession then the car would stall. I did this same thing with my multimeter connected and battery and alternator are checking out fine.
My dash lights flicker quite rapidly sometimes, but not all the time.
I also get a high pitch buzz/hum coming through my speakers when the flickering happens, but is mostly noticeable when I have the tape deck converter inserted into the tape deck. Regular radio stations either the noise is very faint or not audible at all.

Today I got the car running, drove down the street and all of a sudden the car just stopped running, so I had to coast as I pulled over to the side of the road. I put the car in park and turned the car off, then turned the key and it started up like there was no issue at all.

I just bought a multimeter to test the battery and alternator and they both checked out fine; 12.7 when car is off, 14.5 when car was running.

Is this a ground wire issue somewhere in the car? If so, any suggestions as to where I should start, and how to test the ground wire if it's any good?

If it's not a ground issue, what else could it be?

I'm hoping this makes sense, and I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

wow man i personally never heard of this..... i hope someone here can help you out on this one and im curious as to what it is myself.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:25 PM

So far garages have no idea what I'm talking about, and no one is able to help. Wish I could just get rid of the car, but it's all I've got.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 PM

i had similar issues last winter. In my instance the lights would dim and the engine would start to sputter while sitting in traffic or waiting at a drive up, or simply idling to try to let it warm up and melt the ice off the windshield. It never actually died while the car was in motion, so long as I kept the revs up it was fine. I ended up replacing the alternator with a junkyard replacement, and that took care of it.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:23 PM

Attention RhetoricCamel Hi there, I joined this because I had the same problem and I noticed that a lot of people have gone through this. My Monte randomly died around curves and was pretty scary. My brothers are very experienced mechanics, for the older cars, and John told me to stop driving it as he could not figure it out and was very dangerous. So it sat all summer long. I took my 2003 Jeff Gordon edition into the auto clinic in November and they changed the catalytic converter, as it was collapsed thus not getting enough air flow, and replaced the fuel pressure regulator. Quite expensive but well worth it, we run fine now.
Also, I need to add that we took it in and put it on the machine many times, and nothing ever showed up, everyone just would stand around scratching their heads. I do hope you find the answer as it is very discouraging.

Last edited by vickibeao; 01-19-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: I want to get RhetoricCamel's attetion please!