Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

leaking trunk

Old 01-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Default leaking trunk

2002 SS

I checked the stickies and other threads but none seem to help. I broke my tail light (not to blame for leak) a few days ago and only then saw how it was hooked up. Noticed my carpeting was wet peeled it back and there was more than a gallon around my spare tire. Ripped out the rest of carpeting and I checked the two wells in the side and both were pretty full of water.

Another thread said to check the spoiler bolts; mine are on good and no dripping and sealed well. It was raining today so I checked. My third brake light is also not to blame as the gasket was fine. I checked the rubber around the trunk and it was dirty so I cleaned it and applied a bit of soapy water to swell it up. As I said before today was raining so I checked. Quite a bit of water got in.

I'm really skeptical about this and its really frustrating me. I was in the trunk with a flashlight today and it seems to be coming from the rubber around the trunk. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

If it could help; I purchased the car back in late September and only last week got my N so it was sitting for just about four months. I love this car to death but this is a seemingly big problem since the climate I live in is a lot of rain.

Any and all help greatly appreciated

Old 01-29-2011, 09:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Check the pinch weld that the weather strip goes on. If there arent any obvious signs of damage to the pinch weld then your weather strip may just need replaced.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My 96 Grand Prix was leaking in the wheel well check that area

Old 01-29-2011, 11:33 PM

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I still have not had any luck finding it. I am almost dead certain it is coming from the weatherstripping though I will not rule anything else out and am considering getting a good silicone grease and greasing the weatherstripping. I used to do it to paintball guns to swell the rubber o-rings so I assume it would work the same way. Any thoughts?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Get some baby powder and dust some around on the weather strip. Close the trunk slowly so it doesnt blow the power off. Reopen and look at the decklid. If there are any spots that didnt transfer powder, then they arent sealing correctly.