Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

leaking fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:19 PM
3 Year Member
Default leaking fuel

this morning i way overfilled my 2000 monte pumping gas,i know that was a stupid thing to do..but never again.But gas started pouring out ,it seems like it was coming from the top of the fuel tank, and pouring on the exhaust pipes..anyone know if there is a type of vent or something else where the fuel could be coming out of, the canister is fill?..it seems to leak a little from the same spot when i drive..never had a problem before..i regret doing that ..
thanks

Old 01-26-2010, 06:05 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I thinkk it should just be the vent... make sure you clean it off the pipes and check again.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:55 PM

It is designed to pour out when you try to put too much gas in it. On newer cars fill it up till the pump clicks off. Don't try so shove the extra 1/2 gallon or so in it. Most times you will have some spillage. They are not like the old cars where you can shove an extra gallon in it after it goes off. Plus, the extra gas you shove in usually stays in the fill pipe, and evaporates anyway wasting money.

Get the excess fuel off the exhaust pipe. You don't want to end up being a roman candle going down the road. If it is leaking between fill ups, find out where and fix it right away!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:32 AM
3 Year Member

thanks for the replys, see what happen was like 6 months ago my fuel pump when out and i changed it . but when finishing everything up I must of not tighten the metal ring that goes on top of the pump to hold it secure to the body..so when i overfill the tank it started pouring out the top where the fuel pump ..now i REtigten every thing down ..no more leak...

Old 01-27-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by seawolf18
It is designed to pour out when you try to put too much gas in it. On newer cars fill it up till the pump clicks off. Don't try so shove the extra 1/2 gallon or so in it. Most times you will have some spillage. They are not like the old cars where you can shove an extra gallon in it after it goes off. Plus, the extra gas you shove in usually stays in the fill pipe, and evaporates anyway wasting money.

Get the excess fuel off the exhaust pipe. You don't want to end up being a roman candle going down the road. If it is leaking between fill ups, find out where and fix it right away!
i've always squeezed the extra gallon or so after the pump clicks off in many different vehicles with no leaks. i can see you may have overflow/expansion problems if you fill it up completely to the brim on a summer morning, then let it sit all day in the hot sun. if you would leave at least a few inches for expansion, that's plenty.

yes, the extra gas stays in the hose, but how does it evaporate if the pump handle is closed to the air? it doesn't...and if it does, it's very slow and someone will get there soon enough to use it. usually the person ahead of you leaves that little amount in the hose also, and so do i, therefore you're not really losing any money.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by drewskie043
yes, the extra gas stays in the hose, but how does it evaporate if the pump handle is closed to the air? it doesn't...and if it does, it's very slow and someone will get there soon enough to use it. usually the person ahead of you leaves that little amount in the hose also, and so do i, therefore you're not really losing any money.
I was talking about the fill pipe for the fuel tank on the car, not the pump. I don't shove the extra fuel in mostly because it costs me an extra 2.50 per tank. call me a cheap ***, but when you have to pay child support and other big bills every month every little bit helps.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:44 AM
3 Year Member

I heard man with them big bills

Originally Posted by seawolf18
I was talking about the fill pipe for the fuel tank on the car, not the pump. I don't shove the extra fuel in mostly because it costs me an extra 2.50 per tank. call me a cheap ***, but when you have to pay child support and other big bills every month every little bit helps.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by rockieg00
I heard man with them big bills
Sure, I'll take some Benjamins and some Grants please, lol