Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

05 fuel injector leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Default 05 fuel injector leaking

My 05 Monte Carlo has been smelling like gasoline. It has 38,000 miles on it. The smell was so strong that I pulled into an auto shop and asked them to take a look a few days ago. They said that a fuel injector is leaking. I saw the guys run a finger across it and their finger was wet and smelled like gas. I told them that I would make an appointment to bring it back to get fixed (I couldn't leave it right then). They told me that it was not a huge emergency, but if it started leaking really bad, I'd have to park it until it is fixed. They said that the repair would cost about $325 and would involve removing the top part of the engine to put some O-rings in. A little while ago, I needed to go about a mile up the road for a quick errand. The gas smell was STRONG. I popped the hood and ran my finger along the fuel injector that they showed me. My finger had gas on it. Now, I am afraid to drive the car. Should I park it and get it fixed first thing after Thanksgiving? That gas smell really scares me, but I don't know too much about cars. What do you car experts think? Is this a common problem? If one fuel injector is leaking, would all of them be leaking too?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: 05 fuel injector leaking

Sounds dangerous to me. Back in the '70's, Fords were burning because of leaky fuel lines under the hood, similar to what this is. If the gas got to the exhaust manifold, yes, there could be a fire. $325???
Can't answer that question, but I would think that might be fixed cheaper than that. Most injectors just plug in, and the injector o-ring is servicable from the top. The fuel rails have to come off 1st. REPLACE ALL THE O-RINGS WHENEVER THE FUEL RAIL IS REMOVED, AND LUBE THEM BEFORE INSTALLING THEM. This is a faily simple job. I would think under $50 for all of them.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:08 PM

Thank you for your reply! And, your car is hot looking!

Ok. Since the $325 sounds high, I will check around at another shop. Someone suggested the dealership. I know of another auto repair shop locally that I have been told has a good rep, but that guy is usually higher than these guys.

I just drove my car and didn't smell any gas this time. It doesn't do it all of the time. It seems to only happen the first drive of the day. Like when I take my son to school.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:06 AM

I took my car to the dealership this morning to have the fuel leak/smell checked out. It's the fuel regulator that is leaking. Not the fuel injector. Apparently, the first place I took it to gave me the wrong dianosis. The guy at the dealership said that he had seen the leaky fuel regulator in the 3.8, but not the 3.4. Oh well, getting fixed now.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:56 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad to see you're getting it fixed without anything or anyone going up in flames.

Dealerships have a reputation of being the most expensive repairs. Around here, the GM dealerships charge about $100 per hour for labor alone. That is if the repair is not covered by warranty.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the dealership charging you for this? This might be helpful for others if they have this problem.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 AM

Glad to hear that you got your diagnosis. But please, make sure you go BACK to the first shop and let them know what was MIS DIAGNOSED. You don't have to be arrogant or rude, just make sure they don't do this to someone else. Because imagine had you trusted them, and paid the money right away! EEK!

Keep us updated... A fuel regulator shouldn't be too big of a job...

-Keegan

Old 11-28-2007, 08:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad to hear it got fixed. Leaking fuel systems, especially these high pressure systems, can be dangerous. My Chevy dealer charges $72/hr, + shop supplies, + waste disposal, +++. Can't get out of there for under $100, seems like.