Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Lacking Horse Power Slow accelerations

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Default Lacking Horse Power Slow accelerations

[8D]Hey guys My 78 Monte is lacking serious Horse Power I just put a brand new Cat on there... New Fuel Filter, New oil change, Just had the transmission flush, what else I have a 600 cfm Eldelbrock Carb, 350 5.7L, dual exhuast. The car runs fine sounds fine but when i go to accelerate I dont get that take off, it just gradually gets up their. What can i do to pick up the pace? I want to @ least spin my tires!!![:@][>:]

Old 10-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Default RE: Lacking Horse Power Slow accelerations

if ur having compression problems no amount of mods are gonna help... car has to get rebuilt. Have you had that checked? Timing? What state is the ignition in?

Old 10-13-2007, 10:31 PM

the motor has been rebuilt i just bought the car like 3 weeks ago....the ignition is good, mostly everything on the motor is new excpet the headers

Old 10-14-2007, 12:24 AM

Check the plugs lately? Maybe your runnin waayy to rich.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:21 AM

That would be my concern too, what your carb mixture is like. Also, is your throttle cable retainer bracket tight? Additionally, your TV cable for your tranny may be incorrectly adjusted, making it shift incorrectly. It really could be a lot of things, you'll have to give us a bit more info. How does your exhaust smell? How are your plugs? Have you adjust mixture on the carb? Is your carb a vacuum secondary or mechanical?

Additonally, just because something is new doesn't mean it is good. I went through three MSD boxes before I got one that was good, and they all came from JEGS brand spankin new.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:32 AM

well i have been making adjustements and still have not found a correct seeting for my carb.. I have turned them all the way to the left until the it boggles down almost until it stalls, then u turn both screws right at least 4x. I ran seafoam thru my car the other day to make sure its a lil bit clean,,, I havent checked the plugs yet though but i will get on that asap!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:47 AM

This should get you started

Once you have verified that timing is correct and that there are not vacuum leaks, tuning your carb should be pretty straight forward.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:56 PM

kool Im about to check it out cause i might have it too lean.. and need to replace the spark plugs

Old 11-01-2007, 09:31 PM

i finally replaced the spark plugs and boy did i need to... I still feel im being robbed of power some where. I did have strip screws that locked down the carb, I replaced all of them and that seem to fix my small vacuum leak. I replaced the fuel filter. I dont know what else to do. Also I just noticed now that when i turn the car off it gives me a clunking noise. Like it down want to shut off. can anyone help me...

Old 01-09-2008, 12:55 AM

I found the problem to my slow and sluggish accelerations. I had a cracked cylinder head over the number two piston. I took her to a shop and they discovered it. They also replaced my old radiator. I had to buy some used heads for my baby which took awhile since va beach is not known for muscle cars. I had to replace the Cat Converter also cause the timing was off that my cat was turning cherry red after 10 minutes of run time. After all that it cost me $2400. ( damn!!!!