Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Key FOB Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:48 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Key FOB Issue

Hey guys I have a quick question. My 2002 SS was having all kinds of electrical issues. It turned out to be the ignition switch. All is well now except for one thing. Sometimes when I unlock the car with the key fob the horn honks as if it is in slow motion. Almost as if the battery is dead. Instead of doing the usual "honk honk" it goes "honk.........honk" with a weird pause in between and the horn is not as loud as usual and sounds really weak. The doors always unlock fine though. It really reminds of a weak battery but my battery is fine and it starts the car without an issue. I have tried buying a new key fob and that hasn't helped either. Has anyone else had this issue? It is really weird and has me worried. It does not happen very often but often enough to be annoying.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:02 AM

I'm pretty sure that you get that delayed/slow 2 beep if the trunk lid has been opened and shut before you unlock the doors.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:53 PM

The pause is normal, if the doors are opened with a key and not unlocked by the "cliker" in order to disable the security you get a honk and pause... Same with the trunk lid being open. However if you are using the cliker and still get this pause, either the ignition switch is not installed correctly, or the wrong one is installed... There are two diffrent part numbers for the Monte's.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:50 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by shovelhead pete
I'm pretty sure that you get that delayed/slow 2 beep if the trunk lid has been opened and shut before you unlock the doors.
Originally Posted by wtxbear
The pause is normal, if the doors are opened with a key and not unlocked by the "cliker" in order to disable the security you get a honk and pause... Same with the trunk lid being open. However if you are using the cliker and still get this pause, either the ignition switch is not installed correctly, or the wrong one is installed... There are two diffrent part numbers for the Monte's.

Thank you very much for the replies. I never knew that the car even was supposed to do that. However I didn't use the key or have the trunk open. It seems to do it when it wants to do it. It did it even with the old ignition switch. It's very weird. However knowing that our cars do this makes me feel a little better since it's not a totally random thing. But like I said I didn't use the key or open the trunk before unlocking the doors any of the times it has done it so it has no reason to do it. Maybe it just gets confused... lol. I don't know what to think about it.