Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ive got a bad problem- nothin works!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Default ive got a bad problem- nothin works!

i dont really know what happened so here it goes from the start, first off 85 monte ss, i went out to start the car this morning to go to work, came back in side for about 10 minutes to let it warm up, when i got back in the car i put my foot on the brake to shift into reverse, and it just died, but it sounded like i turned the ignition off, not choked out or anything like that, now ive got no power to anything other than my dome light, i turn the ky on, no gauges, no blower motor, nothin, and it wont crank over either, anyone know what this could be cause by? i HAVE to have the car for thursday as i and a couple people i work with have to go on a drive about 1 1/2 hours to another store and then back later on that evening, no one but me has a car, we all have trucks, so its pretty important i get it fixed, i checked the ignition fuse and its fine, and the power accessory fuse or fusible link whatever it is and its fine, those are the only 2 fuses that made sense to check at the time and i had about an hour to be at work, luckily i have a truck i could drive, anyway i cant figure it out so any help is greatly apreciated thanks, o and no radio either

Old 12-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Default RE: ive got a bad problem- nothin works!

i have headlights and stuff, NO brake lights, the lights i got are very bright so i know the battery aint dead, i just dunno what could be the problem

Old 12-17-2007, 11:39 PM

Check all your battery cables, and grounds. Check around the back of the motor for burnt wires, or frayed wires. I Had my 88 do something like that, it just died sitting in traffic, turned out to be the tach filter by the back of the drivers side valve cover, got to close to the motor and burnd it up, no warning no smoke, took the tech about 3 hours to find it, and 15 min to splice it and bend me over for the bill, LOL!!

Old 12-18-2007, 08:31 AM

Good luck. Electrical problems are the worse because it could be almost anything. You Just have to trace everything down until you find it. let us know what you find out.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:13 AM

i found it! i also have a little friend living in my engine compartment....little sob chewed through the rubber boot on the starter, i turned the key on and got underneath and started messin with the wires on the starter and all the sudden everything turned on, that little mouse is gonna die soon, i hope he goes in my flywheel and torque converter so when i put it in gear and mash it itll chew em up, as soon as i opened the hood and messed with the positive cable i saw him run somewhere in my engine compartment, i dunno where he is but he is still in there, or my cat woulda got him because the cat was right next to me, lol, anyway thanks for the help guys, especially thefullmonte because he told me to look down there, my problem now is getting it fixed because my headers are right in the way of the starter

Old 12-18-2007, 10:33 PM

LOL!! he's in your glovebox... hahaha. had one of those once...made a nest outta my registration and ins. papers. good to hear that you found the problem countryboy!!you're welcome! glad i could help.when you have an electrical problem such as yours where nothing works it just has to be carefully traced in the order thatvoltage is distributed through the system. the only way to find it without going nuts.