Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Door Rattle on 06 Monte Carlo LS

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Default Door Rattle on 06 Monte Carlo LS

Just started today after 600 miles on the drivers door... What might be causing it? Only happens over bumpy pavement.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Default RE: Door Rattle on 06 Monte Carlo LS

first off rideing 6oo miles on the drivers door has to be uncomfortabel.

btu i would defently take it back to the deale rand let them figure it out. there are a few things in there that could be causeing it. anythign from just a lose brace to a window motor etc... there are about 40-50 small items that could be in the right place to cuase this an dyour just now hearing it. who knows. but with out looking at the car or taking the door pannel of fyour not goign to find it easiely.

so i would let them look at it to see f they can find it for you. that is why ya have the warrenty .

Old 08-05-2006, 12:40 AM

The thing is that its not a loud rattle and most noticeable over rough payment otherise I don't hear it except maybe when I shut the door. Passenger's door does not do it. Of course the dealership is on a smooth road and I hate to take the car back and hear sorry could hear anything or replicate the noise. I would want a loaner car as well since I just bought the thing over 4th July weekend.

If I have the window down and hold the door/inside door panel it seems to go away, but it sounds like it comes from inside the door.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:32 PM

Took the car to the dealer and they say that 3 people have driven the car over a bumpy road and railroad tracks along with the salesperson who sold the car... They said that they do not hear anything. I am so done with this dealer. I hear it just fine. Why do dealers always seem to take down to people? Heck in college I took 2 years of Autmotive Service Technology courses and was ASE certified in brakes, steering and suspension.

If you want it done right, you got to do it yourself. That's why I don;t go to dealers for service. You take your there for an oil change and that put an extra quart of oil than what it calls for...

Old 08-09-2006, 07:00 PM

What I would do, and I know it's a pain in the butt, I would take it back to them over and over again until they are willing tear it apart to look for the annoyance.

Get a witness to the problem as well and check your states lemon laws. They only have X number of strikes before they have to address the problem.

I had a similar issue with the ALT on mine, I thought it sounded/acted abnormal and took it back three times before they found a problem with it and replaced it.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:30 PM

i have this issue in mine now to. but i know what mine is.
i took my door handels off so i could put some lights under them and wanted to make sure i didnt screw thigns up.

BUT try this go out to your car and try moving the door handel its self the whole thing not just what you would lift to open the door but the part that shoudl stay still see if it moves. If it dose you have found your rattel

Also with mine till i retightend it up today i could hear the rods in there rattel where they were touching each other . If this is the case it might make the sound when your moving the out side handel

If it was mine i would just take the pannel off an ddrive it over a bummpy road. see if you can hear where it is comming from inside the door with otu all of the panel and crap in the way. Might be somethign stupid in there just lose or just making contact with meteal or something in there that has to hit it just right.

But yeah dealers and me are not on good terms for the most part here. The one i bought the car from was great then we moved it here and has been nothing but a fight all of the time .

Old 08-10-2006, 01:12 AM

It sounds like the rods might be touching one another when I shut the door. I don't understand why the dealer would do this in the first place. What is involved taking off the panel? I see two fasterners near the inside door handle and 1 screw near the mirror.

Thanks much!

Old 08-10-2006, 06:54 AM

most of the time they are take out the screws. and then VERY carefuly use something like a putty knife that you can run inbetween the door panel and the door to find the spots where the plastic pins are and when you find one give the putty knife a twist to pop them off the door and move to the next one.

when installing line it all back up then push the pins back in to place.

If you break a pin it will not make to big of a diffrence but if you break more then one or two you can get more from the dealer.

Also they dont go in or out to hard.

biggest thing is dont try man handeling the panel take your time and becarefule and it will come off.

MAke sure all of the screws are off of it.

the next thing in there should be a peice of plastic that is glued to the door. this will come off easily and will re stick back to the door. if you dont tear it. this is a moister barrier.

on mine there is a peice of strofom in it to help with the sound deadning. it has clips on it and was glued in there also. once you pop it out then you can get to the rods in there at the back of the door. and see if they are ratteling. it might be that clip on the strofoam also so i would tap on everythign or have someone help you to shut the door and see if you can find the rattel in there . with the door apart.

the whole things sounds hard but it really is not a tuff thing to do. just watch for the wires and the speackers they will be apart of the door and the panel for the wireing.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

**Took the car to the dealer and they say that 3 people have driven the car over a bumpy road and railroad tracks along with the salesperson who sold the car... **

This is exactly why I joined this forum. I am only 4 days into this car and I bet the dealer will refuse to admit that I have some small problems. I have almost the exact same driver door noise on my 06 LTZ. A spordadic and insecure rattle at the driver's door. When I close the driver's door, it feels and sounds loose and has a small sustained rattle as compared to closing the passenger's door which sound more solid.

Dave V.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:49 PM

I have the exact same issue. Nothing has been done yet... Wondering if I am going to take the door panel off myself or see another dealer.

My past experiences with Dealer Service Depts. and Mechanics has not been the greatest. I have had a Dealer replace a set a spark plugs only to have them cross-thread a plug on my old 96 3.1 Beretta and then I was wondering why the engine had a miss. Their mechanics just don't have a good work ethic (my opinion). If they can get out of doing something by giving you a "story" they will, but the dealer where I bought my MC from sent me a letter from the Dealer Owner saying that they have an award winning service dept... yeah right....

Quick Reply: Door Rattle on 06 Monte Carlo LS