Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Intermittent Starting Prob...any help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:15 AM
Default Intermittent Starting Prob...any help?

Good Morning Guys. I have an '03 Monte Carlo SS, 3.8L with 101K miles. In the last 3 or 4 months, there have been 4 or 5 times where it just won't start, leaving my wife stranded - well at least for several minutes until it cranks over. When this happens, it will not click, crank - nada - but the lights are good, radio blares, etc... The battery is relatively new and no issues with the alternator.

What do y'all think it might be? Should I try replacing the starter? I'm not much of a wrench but I think I can do it if it would fix this weird problem (one of the ONLY problems this car has given me in 6 years BTW!)

I'd love anyone to chime in with their opinion.

Thanks!

Clarkster (newbie)

Old 10-31-2009, 06:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had a similar problem in my '01. It was the ignition switch. ALMOST always started within 10 minutes, well almost. Not the last time.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:49 AM

That's another possibility as well - the ignition switch. Hmmmm.... I just received an answer from AskChevy.com. The mechanic suggested replacing the Crank Relay in the fusebox first. Waddya think?

Old 11-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Default no start

i'm having same problem right now. after driving for 30 minutes, go back out to start it and no start! try a few times but after 10 minutes it starts like nithing wrong at all. it happened a couple times a few months ago and went away, now last 5 days ,happening again. hope we get a for sure remedy .

Old 11-18-2009, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Clarkster
Good Morning Guys. I have an '03 Monte Carlo SS, 3.8L with 101K miles. In the last 3 or 4 months, there have been 4 or 5 times where it just won't start, leaving my wife stranded - well at least for several minutes until it cranks over. When this happens, it will not click, crank - nada - but the lights are good, radio blares, etc... The battery is relatively new and no issues with the alternator.

What do y'all think it might be? Should I try replacing the starter? I'm not much of a wrench but I think I can do it if it would fix this weird problem (one of the ONLY problems this car has given me in 6 years BTW!)

Thanks!

Clarkster (newbie)
Do you know if the security light is blinking when this happens?

Old 11-21-2009, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Clarkster

Thanks!

Clarkster (newbie)
I had been dealing with the same problem for the past couple weeks...at first I just had to turn the key a couple times to get it to fire up. Then it got to the point to where I had to do it numerous times to get it to fire. Got even worse, had to **** it to neutral to get it to fire up, and then it just started firing up when it wanted to regardless of if it was in neutral or not.

I took it to the shop on Wednesday and just picked it up last night, they replaced the shift control switch....part was $255, and an hour of labor to install as well as an hour to diagnose so out the door I paid $455 and some change.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:15 AM

My 03 Monte Carlo SS is doing it again!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Every so often, it won't crank over. The lights, radio etc all work fine. Relatively NEW battery. It hasn't happened in over 3 months until again this morning. It was happening every couple of weeks or so last fall. An Ask Chevy mechanic suggested I replace the crank relay (located under the hood in the fusebox area). $11 part so I tried that. Obviously that's NOT the problem.

Someone else stated they had the same problem and it ended up costing about $500 for a shift control switch (see above). The problem is that it's an intermittent thing and as soon as it does crank up, it'll probably be fine for a while. Hard to detect WHAT it is when it's working OK. This is getting to be a PITA because it's my wife's car and she's been stranded at work a couple of times.

Any ideas short of going that $500 route? (That might not fix it either!)

Old 01-19-2010, 06:24 AM

take it to the dealer and find out the problem. $80 or so for them to diagnose the problem

Old 01-19-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by sonin66
take it to the dealer and find out the problem. $80 or so for them to diagnose the problem
But do you think they'll be able to locate the problem once its cranking just fine again? That's the deal. Unless I call a tow truck right now and get it into the service dept. while its still acting up, it'll start cranking over fine again...for several weeks probably.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:34 AM

See? 20 minutes later, I go outside and it starts just fine! Weird I tell ya!!!