Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ignition switch or bcm problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Default ignition switch or bcm problem.

I have a 2002 MC ss with 92k. Yesterday when I went to start my car, after having it sit outside overnight, and it took several turns of the key to get the starter to turn over. I thought I may be just a fluke, as it started fine for the rest of the day. When I got into my car today, again having sit over night, it took 3 attempts for it to start. The radio would cut out like normal when you try and start the car, I did not notice anything funny with the gauges but I was not looking. I kept hearing the radio "pop" on and off like power was going to it and then quickly shutting off. I have my abs/ trac/ and parking brake lights active on my cluster (they have been for a long while.

Also, not sure if this is related, but ever since I put a full take of gas in my car (living near Chicago I never put more than a half tank) my turn signals sometimes quit working And I get a buzzing noise while the signal should be active. when the signal is deactivated the instrument panel/ gauges resets. I'm thinking that may b the cause of burning the ground contact.

I replaced the battery about 3 months ago, I do not have my security light active and the car is not locking the key or anything. So, not sure if this is one issue or separate problems. Any help would be awesome and if you need more info I will do what I can to answer

Old 11-25-2013, 04:43 PM

Thank you for the overwhelming responses... The starting problem appears to b the ignition switch and the signal problem was the flasher relay.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to MCF. Sorry for the lack of response on your thread that's been out for a few days. Sadly, this time of year is a little slow for many people checking into MCF.

Regardless, thanks for stopping back to inform you may have found the solution to your problem.

If you are a Monte Carlo enthusiast, I encourage you to hang out on the forum, post some pics of your '02 and share what you've done with it and plans for the future.

Again, welcome!!

Old 11-26-2013, 08:41 PM

No problem. Happy to help.

Future plans for this car is to sell it to some chump dumb enough to buy it. The gm parts designed to fail after x amount of years really takes ur **** for a ride! The best way to fix these problems is to buy a new honda!!!!

I sure wish I could go back 5 years and tell my 18 year old self not to buy this 2002 money pit ss. But, lessons are best learned early in life.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry about your bad luck with your Monte. Based on the fact you bought a '02 Monte 5 years ago, you bought a used car. Some of your issues could be the sins of the past owner not maintaining and possibly abusing it.
Don't get me wrong, it's obvious that GM cars, like the Monte have their issues, but ANY car has their issues regardless of make.

Good luck with your plans. Remember, all cars are mechanical and have their issues. Some cars may not have "break downs" but the flip side require costly maintenance intervals.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:09 AM
Default That’s funny, my 2002 3.8 took me to 240k miles with very few problems before I sold

[QUOTE=870master;583253]No problem. Happy to help.

Future plans for this car is to sell it to some chump dumb enough to buy it. The gm parts designed to fail after x amount of years really takes ur **** for a ride! The best way to fix these problems is to buy a new honda!!!!

I sure wish I could go back 5 years and tell my 18 year old self not to buy this 2002 money pit ss. But, lessons are best learned early in life.[/QUOTE

the dude is still driving the 2002 I sold him to this day, we’re good friends, my 2005 sc 3.8 is at 160k right now and drives like new still

Old 04-09-2021, 10:40 AM

[QUOTE=Michael Arnott;725345]
Originally Posted by 870master
No problem. Happy to help.

I sure wish I could go back 5 years and tell my 18 year old self not to buy this 2002 money pit ss. But, lessons are best learned early in life.[/QUOTE

the dude is still driving the 2002 I sold him to this day, we’re good friends, my 2005 sc 3.8 is at 160k right now and drives like new still
Right? My 02 LS got up to 210,000+ before I sold it. Still ran like new.
My 05 gets beaten daily with 197,000+ and still drives like new (better actually)
And my 02 bonneville still runs and drives with over 375,000. Only problem with that one is rust, springs in the rear finally popped thru the trunk LOL. Guess I cant say that one drives like new. It starts and runs like new...

I have to say tho, that "dumb chump" part kinda gets to me. Whoever buys it obviously isnt going to be very well off so to sell them something you know is a problem vehicle is just a dk move. I hope that gets reconsidered.

Last edited by wht02monte; 04-09-2021 at 10:43 AM.