Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Ignition switch problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Default Ignition switch problems

On Tuesday and Wednesday, I had a problem with the key not wanting to turn in the tumbler.Would feel a snag, but would finally turn in tumbler and start after a couple of tries. Friday was uneventful. This morning (Saturday), I couldn't get it to do anything at all except push all the way in, but again, not turn. It waslike I had someone else's key. (Yes, it's the right key). Has anyone else here had this problem and or know a fix or how to replace the switch? Any help appreciated !!!

Old 06-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Ignition switch problems

what year is your monte? maybe its still covered under warranty

thats not the ignition switch though, thats the ignition lock cylinder, the switch is further in in the dash, and is what actually tells the car to turn on

Old 06-23-2007, 07:12 PM

2003therefore the screen name 03ssMonte

Old 06-23-2007, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member

lol, yah i guess that would make sense! lol

another thing to keep in mind, and this is for everyone who carries a lot of key's, is to have your car keys on a seperate chain from everything else, because too much weight on that lock cylinder will break it over time

my mom found that out the hard way, she used to keep all 20 or so of her key's on the same chain and it broke the lock cylinder out of the steering column on her car

Old 06-24-2007, 12:26 AM

Try a little gaffite on the key
Its possible that a tumbler is sticking
If that dont work, sounds like a new key cylinder

Old 06-24-2007, 01:12 AM

I recall my service rep saying that some of the old gen impalas had this problem, exept the key would get stuck in the ignition. She mentioned that it had something to do with a pin that holds the key in the ignition while the car was running.. Some of the old chevy astros and S-10s would have this pin break and you could remove the key at any time. My guess would be to remove the top of the colum and look to see if there was a lubrication hole in the top of the cylender. Hopefully its just that and not a broken tumbler.

Keeping in mind that I know next to nothing about those montes.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:53 PM

This '03 has the Key in the dash. Will try some graphite. As a last resort, I guess I could try some WD 40 ! If all else fails, $$$$$......

Old 06-24-2007, 05:05 PM

You might have to pull the dash off to get the key cylinder out. I would pull the cyclinder apart and see if there are any problems.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:26 PM

OK boys and girls.........just shot a load of powered graphite into the tumbler, worked the key back and forth 15-20 secs. and BINGO! the damn thing works like a charm (FOR NOW)..........thanks to all who replied !

Old 06-24-2007, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member

good to hear

Quick Reply: Ignition switch problems