Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

changed ignition switch and now car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Default changed ignition switch and now car wont start

I have a 2003 monte carlo. the ignition switch locked up so i changed it and now the car wont start.when i turn the key the dash flases and then the message board flashessays SECURITY. any suggesions?????

Old 08-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Default RE: changed ignition switch and now car wont start

hmmmmmm so it wont allow u to start it? well when i was installing my amp i, had problems getting it to work because when i was trying to hook it up, it would go into a "protection" mode and wouldnt work. so i unhooked the negative and positive terminals on the battery, and it reset the amp so it wasnt in protection mode.

lol this sounds pretty stupid, but maybe if you unhook your battery, it will reset the settings and allow u to start it? lol it probably wont work but u can try.... idk just threw that out there. & because i know if u unhook the battery, it will clear some cods (did with my low tire pressure light)

Old 08-05-2008, 03:56 AM

Hi Julio and Welcome to the MCF

Try what Member MonteTank Suggested it can work

Here are some other suggestions

Do this procedure three times in succession.
1. Turn the ignition on and try to start it leaving it in the on position for 10 minutes.

2. After the 10 minutes the security lightshould besolid rather than flashing turn the ignition off and wait 30 seconds.

3. Repeat step 1 & 2 turn it on, leave it on for 10 minutes, then off for 30 seconds.

After the third time through this procedure, the car should start.
[/align][/align]If this does not work you may have a bad BCM Body Control[/align]Module[/align]A new BCM from Autozone is about$100 You provide all the info including the VIN number and it comes "flashed" or programmed for your vehicle. The BCM is located under the dash just above the brake pedal. You should see a wiring harness leading to an enclosed black case that sits in a steel frame. The three wire connectors have clips on them. Good Luck[/align][/align]Tech Service Bulletin below[/align]

TSB No.: 060235005
NHTSA No.: 10019832
TSB Date: March 1, 2006
Date Added to File: May 5, 2006

Failing Component:
Steering

Summary:
Key stuck in ignition, key will not return to off position, shifter button won't release in park position.
[/align]

Old 08-05-2008, 07:41 AM

ORIGINAL: jrjfam

I have a 2003 monte carlo. the ignition switch locked up so i changed it and now the car wont start.when i turn the key the dash flases and then the message board flashessays SECURITY. any suggesions?????
Whenever you unplug your passlock sensor, which is the metal piece around your ignition cylinder, you need to let the security system relearn itself. Do what the poster above me said. Turn the key to "run" or "on" but don't start and wait ten minutes then cycle the key off and start.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:43 AM

Make sure that you plugged your passlock sensor back in when you reinstalled your ignition cylinder.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:52 AM

did all the above and now the key will not return to the lock position or "off" position, not allowing me to take the key out. I replaced the ignition cylinder did the reset steps, and nothing, does not fire up, what could be disabling the key to return to the lock position? also the steering wheel is not locked, and the car does goes from park to neutral and back so shifter is not stuck??? any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated
thanks

Old 09-18-2013, 07:54 AM

forgot to mention while doing all this the battery was dead, so i hooked up jumper cables in the process....would this or could this be an issue?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

PCM/KEY RELEARN PROCEDURE

If you are the proud owner of any W Body vehicle other then the 1997 – 2003 Pontiac
Grand Prix, your vehicle may not start with its new PCM right away. It needs to learn the
new PCM as a security feature of the vehicle. The list of vehicles this may include are :

2004+ Pontiac Grand Prix
2000+ Chevrolet Impala
2000+ Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998+ Buick Regal
…and others are possible.

The procedure to learn the new PCM to your vehicle is as follows :

1.) Attempt to Start (Key to Run) NOTE : Car will not start
2.) Release key to 'ON' position
3.) Wait ~11 minutes (or until Security Light INdicator) turns off in message center.
4.) Turn Key off and wait 30 seconds.
5.) Repeat 1 - 4 until car starts (usually 3 cycles)

during this process make sure your battery does not go dead.

Last edited by turbo monte; 09-18-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello and Welcome Julio!
How Dead was your Battery? If it was Dead dead, then Jumping would not work. You need to get the Battery Recharged. Do you have a Remote Start? On My Monte the remote start is set up to Bypass the Security Lock Out. Once your battery has a good charge, try Remote Starting it. It may work! Good Luck!

Old 09-18-2013, 01:59 PM

yes it was completely dead....yes i do have a remote start, i will charge the battery and give this a try thanks....i guess ultimatley my final question would be, would this be why i can not get the key to return to the lock position and remove the key from the ignition cylinder? or am i looking at a whole new issue? thanks