Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): ignition issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 03:08 PM
Default ignition issue

Alright, I went to work today with my girlfriends car to get a tire fixed (we have an inhouse mechanic where I work) and I went out to take it over to the mechanic at noon and the battery was dead so I had someone give me a jump. We fixed the tire and went to start the car and it was dead again. So we put a charger on it and without the key being on the exterior marker lights came on, along with lights on the dash. Mechanic put in a different battery and got it started and he said it would stay running after you shut off the key so he had to pull the injector fuse and unhook the battery so it would shut off and not drain the battery. I'm thinking it might be the ignition switch... what do you think?

Old 09-08-2014, 03:58 PM

The car shouldn't stay running after switched off. That could likely be an ignition switch issue.
If you still have an issue after replacing that with it killing batteries you or your mechanic should perform a parasitic draw test

Old 09-08-2014, 05:47 PM

where is the switch located on the car?

Old 09-12-2014, 08:54 PM

ignition switch didn't do it. Going to do the parasitic draw test tomorrow...

Old 09-12-2014, 09:09 PM

The draw test will only tell you what systems are drawing power after the vehicle is turned off. It won't really tell you why the vehicle continues to run after the key is removed so hopefully you guys got that sorted out first.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:25 PM

with the battery hooked up and the key off i pulled the 20 amp pcm battery fuse that is in the passenger side engine bay fuse box and it killed everything so whatever is causing my issue is on that circuit... any ideas guys? i hope its not a bricked pcm. I'll give some more info that I didnt put in the original post:

car runs good when running.
car does not stop running when the key is turned from the on (running position) to the off position.
All the warning lights come on when I flip the key to the off position, with or without the engine running.
I pull injector fuse to kill engine.
I just pulled the pcm fuse on a hunch and when I pulled that it killed the lights on the dash. I will leave it pulled and see if I have a dead battery tomorrow to make sure its in that circuit.

suggestions are always welcome.

Edit: After pulling the pcm battery fuse and reinstalling it I should have looked at the dash. All the lights stayed off and the car functions normally now. Needless to say this issue will probably come back so when it happens again I will update the thread again as I can't really diagnose something thats not there lol

Last edited by englundjd; 09-15-2014 at 03:57 PM.