Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2002 Ignition/Headlighting Issue

Old 01-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Default 2002 Ignition/Headlighting Issue

Hello, and sorry to have to make a new post, but no matter how much i tried to google this problem it always picked up a different problem of lights flickering while driving.

So i have a 2002 Monte Carlo just the regular version not a SS one or anything, and the problem started, or at least i first noticed it, on Halloween night. I drove to my friends house, turned off my car and started to go into his house and the headlights started flickering on and off after the car was turned off. It only happens to the headlights and dash lights, not the inside lights at all and never when i'm driving, only after i turn my car off after driving or open the door to get something out of my car.

It also doesn't do it every time it seems to do it randomly. I noticed at the same time this started to happen my driver window also has trouble rolling up or down with slow reaction speed to me pushing the button, but only driver side not passenger. I don't know if these issues are related, i'm just trying to give as much information as i can. It also eventually kills my battery, and when i try to start it with low or dead battery my dash lights and headlights will flicker. I thought i would post to see if anyone else had the same problem and try to find the solution they used to fix it, any advice or information would be helpful, and thank you in advance.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:21 PM

Really? noone knows how to fix this problem?

Old 01-19-2011, 05:48 AM

So, what you're saying is that when you leave the lights on with the engine off, the battery dies? You also notice that the battery is struggling because the lights start to flicker then dim?

How old is your battery?

Doesn't sound like this is a very complex problem. With the engine on, the alternator is providing a constant charge to the battery, but when the engine is off the battery is powering all of the accessories itself. Sounds like your battery just isn't holding a charge any more, unless there's something I'm missing here.

The window switch issue could be the switch itself. The driver side undoubtedly gets used much more often than the passenger side, and therefore will wear out much sooner.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:17 AM

Sorry i guess i didn't phrase it or explain well enough, normally the lights are supposed to turn off by themselves after the car has been turned off for 1 or 2 minutes, but sometimes right after they turn off they start flickering and i can't stop it, that's the real issue i need to get fixed so it doesn't kill my battery over and over. I had a new battery put in after the first was killed like that but it still does this with the new battery too. I really don't know why the lights keep flickering when they are suppose to turn off, i had the car for a little over a year before this started happening and never saw anything similar before.