Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

MSD IGNITION BOX AND DISTRIBUTOR

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 01:44 AM
Default MSD IGNITION BOX AND DISTRIBUTOR

Ok i got most of the wiring figured out, got the starter in, the fuel hooked up, the carb, the exhaust, go to start it up and............................................... .....nothing, just a slight clicking noise coming from the column of the car and in the firewall on the driver side where the main harness comes out. Could this be a bad ignition switch or something worse, also do a certain amount of items have to be plugged in for the car to start, because i got rid of the smog pump, the o2 sens, the a/c and that piece of junk quadrajet. I have a lot of plugs not hooked up right now. Would it be easier and if my thought is correct, smarter to go to an msd. As far as i know, the msd box runs things like the ignition switch, the firing order, spark control, and main functions of the car. With this i think it would be easier and wiser for me to get so i dont have related problems with the computer in my car. Im so anxious to get this done and any shortcuts would be helpful. Also with the msd would i have to get a new distributor and coil. Or would it just be smarter to. Im thinking of the msd 6al box as it seems to have sufficient accessories for what i need. Thanx again for all the help.[>:]

Old 04-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Default RE: MSD IGNITION BOX AND DISTRIBUTOR

I know of the clicking noise your talkin about. My friends does the same thing. Im guessing its normal. Specially if your running the stock computer on the motor...

Old 05-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Default RE: MSD IGNITION BOX AND DISTRIBUTOR

Been a while. Fixed The problem. I dont know what it was but i replaced the ignition switch the starter the coil pack and rechecked everything and low and behole my beast is running. She sounds real mean but the secondaries arnt opening. And i had to modify my egr valve even with the 2"spacer. She runs strong got the alignment straightened out and wham Its done. SHes tagged insured and ready to go. Any help with the secondaries is all i request, they are vacuumed accuated and they seem not to be opening all the way. I get about half throttle from it. Any thoughts let me know and thinks again for the help.