Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

How do you reset the Pass lock System

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Blazed SS
this totally happened to me today and I thought I would share with all of you

How do you reset the Pass lock System on a 2000-2005 Monte Carlo SS
The Security light was flashing in the message center / car would not start.

Answer

GM says to place in park, shut off the ignition and get out of car, locking it as to depart then unlock and get in, insert key, turn to ACC and turn the lights on and off three times then turn ignition off and on to start the engine .
if the drive door has a locking problem will this still work

Old 06-13-2017, 12:20 PM
Default Monte Carlo Pass Lock Reset

found the best fix for this issue - get the ignition cylinder replaced. Mine was starting to do it 3-4x weekly. Local shop, about $450. well worth it.

Old 12-01-2022, 02:57 PM
Default 2000-2005 vin# recalls. Repaired free

On these models or any vehicle basically if there are any safty recalls you can get them fixed at any Dealership near you. 6th Gen Monte Carlo has 2 major recalls consistent with Ignition Cylinder slipping creating a security 🔐 issue... Always look up safety recalls 😁😁😁😁
2nd is engine covers and gaskets allowing leaks onto exhaust creating Under Hood Fires🙉🙉🙉

Last edited by MCSS2001; 12-01-2022 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2022, 05:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MCSS2001
On these models or any vehicle basically if there are any safty recalls you can get them fixed at any Dealership near you. 6th Gen Monte Carlo has 2 major recalls consistent with Ignition Cylinder slipping creating a security 🔐 issue... Always look up safety recalls 😁😁😁😁
2nd is engine covers and gaskets allowing leaks onto exhaust creating Under Hood Fires🙉🙉🙉
Not really sure what this post has to do with the original subject on a very old thread....

GM has two different "unintended ignition rotation" recalls. One line of that recalls is VERY serious, weak spring in the lock cylinder. But the one for the 2000-2005 Montes is a joke, knee jerk reaction to avoid PR. The Monte uses the same lock cylinder setup as the Grand Am, Impala and many others. They had enough random cases pop up at the time the other one was happening they just did this recall. For the Monte, they just put a spacer in the key and tell you not to have anything but the fob with your key (nothing on the car itself is changed). I have been with cars using this lock cylinder setup, and as long as you don't have anything on your key to get caught while driving, you are fine.

The Engine Cover/Valve cover, I find funny. First, the service manual calls the engine cover an "injector shield", which implies it has a purpose. The recall I believe calls it a "beauty cover" implying it it decoration. Second, the valve cover gasket and valve cover have been used on the 3300 and 3800 v6 since at LEAST 1993 if not longer. The recall is installing the same cover, only black instead of gray/tan (probably for a quick visual inspection) and the same exact gasket. This has not been the first recall, they had an earlier one to get rid of a spark plug guide (which I learned the Series III has the guide, but now with a thing to take any oil spill away from the exhaust, which is a concern that happens from a person who spills when adding oil during an oil change). Nothing lasts forever and I feel this recall begins to sound like a way to do maintenance that the vehicle owner has neglected or compensate for them being sloppy at adding oil. Just my thoughts.