Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Lost my key's help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 04:59 PM
Angry Lost my key's help

I lost my only car key's a while ago and I didn't know what to do? I considered all my options but I decided to Change the ignition lock housing cylinder and ignition lock. So I have 2 car keys that came with the new ignition lock but the car wont start. So basically my question is
1.Should I use a obd2 code reader to reset the ECU
2.Use a key programer to program the new keys
3.Tow my car to a mechanic and let them deal with it

Also I've given the car a tune up, changed the oil, and tested my battery,starter, and alternator. All came back working great. I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Old 06-24-2016, 06:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello Yung
the ignition lock cylinder contains a chip that needs to be recognized by the PCM and BCM to complete the VAT (vehicle anti-theft) process.
The fix requires you to complete a security relearn procedure. Follow this procedure and your car should fire right up.

Security Relearn Procedure:

1. Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.
2. Observe that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.
3. Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'off' position, DO NOT remove the key.)
4. Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for no less than 11 minutes (the security light should stop flashing, if not wait up to 3 more minutes).
5. Turn key to off position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.
6. Repeat #1 - #5 for 3 cycles.
7. On 4th-5th attempt, car should start.

NOTE : Since this is a fairly long procedure, I would limit all electrical sources, such as disconnecting headlights, to prevent discharge of battery.

NOTE 2 : It is SAFE to wait LONGER than the allotted time, but it is not safe to wait less time. I.e. 12 minutes instead of 11 minutes should be safe; however, waiting 10 minutes instead of 11 minutes is not safe.

Properly executed, this procedure should take approximately 35 minutes to complete.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just FYI for future reference or anyone else here, if lose keys any GM dealer can cut a new key from the VIN on pretty much anything from a 1990 model GM vehicle and up.
Takes them 5 minutes.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Aerocoupe86
Just FYI for future reference or anyone else here, if lose keys any GM dealer can cut a new key from the VIN on pretty much anything from a 1990 model GM vehicle and up.
Takes them 5 minutes.
True !!! this happened to me once on a 1989 Olds that keys got locked into the Car while I was out on the road.
Also had extra sets on other cars made. at the GM dealer.