Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

How to change power steering return hose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 03:21 PM
Default How to change power steering return hose?

Hello, fellow Monte owners!
I need to replace my power steering return hose.
Is there a way to do it without dropping the frame?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 04-23-2016, 04:03 PM
Lightbulb Welcome

Welcome to the MCF. It would help if you posted what year and model Monte Carlo you have ? Thanks!

Old 04-23-2016, 04:10 PM
Thumbs up

If you have a 6th Gen Monte Carlo, below was
posted by our MCF Admin `Mike

* Use our MCF Search Engine to find answers. Good Luck
You need to jack up the car and support it on jack stands to do the work yourself.

Place a drain pan under the vehicle and remove the accessory belt. Jack up the car and put it on stands.

Remove the passenger front tire and wheel assembly. Remove the power steering pressure line from the pump.

Remove the return hose from the pump.

Remove the 2 mounting bolts. Remove the assembly. Remove the pulley from the pump as well as the reservoir. You reuse those two if they aren't bad and just bought a new pump.

Installation:

Install the reservoir to the pump, then the pulley to the new pump. Put the new pump to the engine and bolt back on. Torque to 25lb/ft.

Reattach the Pressure Line and the Return hose to the pump. Put wheel assembly and tire back on. Lower the car, put the belt on. Fill the system back up with fluid and bleed the system. Check for leaks.

Daily Driver - 2013 IOM Camaro 1LS | LFX and M6

Old 04-23-2016, 04:15 PM

It's a 2000 LS.
The guy who normally works on my car is just a classic shadetree mechanic, he says it would take him all day.
Would have to drop the frame to get to it, no space to get in there and remove it.

I don't plan on buying a factory replacement return hose, just want it replaced with a rubber hose and clamps, basically.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by zw1019
It's a 2000 LS.
The guy who normally works on my car is just a classic shadetree mechanic, he says it would take him all day.
Would have to drop the frame to get to it, no space to get in there and remove it.

I don't plan on buying a factory replacement return hose, just want it replaced with a rubber hose and clamps, basically.
'
Thanks for your reply. The above post by Admin `Mike doesn't require a frame drop. (?)
Other member's have repaired without doing a frame drop..
Check the below link & use our search engine on the top center of each page for more information. Sorry, we no longer have member's that come to your place to do the repairs.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...ing-out-27174/
click link & review...

Old 04-26-2016, 08:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I changed a Power Steering line on a '97 Grand Prix with a 3800 (so less room then a 3400 and same platform as our Montes). I don't recall if it was the high pressure or the return line. It took a while to do, but did not require dropping the subframe.just following it out. Helps to cut/break the line off the fittings so you can put a socket on the old fittings and take them out.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:57 PM

Just wondering what symptoms you are seeing and are you sure it's the return line? I have replaced the pressure line on both 3.4 and 3.5 engines which runs to the steering rack but the return line which routes up to the radiator looks like it could possibly be a pain.