Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Horrible sounds coming from front end, 2005 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Horrible sounds coming from front end, 2005 Monte Carlo

I have had a noise coming from the drivers side for awhile. It was low, now it’s a constant grinding,popping, crunching sound as I am going down the road. My uncle said it was the cv joint on the driver’s side. He didn’t want to replace the whole axle because he said it’s an all day job. We got a cv joint from a 2003 Monte Carlo. We started to work on replacing that and couldn’t get the tie rod end off. We basically had to saw the tie rod end off and replace it. It was actually busted so it needed to be replaced. We haven’t done the cv joint yet because we were just beat. Since o replaced the tie rod end, the most annoying rattling,piercing sound is coming from the passenger side. It’s the most annoying sound I have ever heard in my life!

Would the cv joint be the cause of the grinding and popping? What would cause this obnoxious rattling sound from the passenger side? It sounds like when a lug nut is loose, but it’s not loose. I also just replaced both front tires. Any help would be appreciated, I’m at my wits end hearing these sounds from up front. Also when I turn the steering wheel right, the rattling sound stops.

Last edited by ThomasB81677; 06-16-2019 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 06-17-2019, 08:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well this is kind of Dangerous but I have done it and the Garage will do it too. Jack the front of the Car up and put it on Jack Stands. Start the car and put it in gear. Then while it is rolling the wheels you can inspect it from the outside. you should be able to hear and noises and you can turn the wheels too. Make sure the car is blocked up for safety.
A driving tip is avoid any rough streets, if you have to drive them reduce speed to half the limit. My wife drives brick streets at speed and then bitches cause it costs some much to replace the struts.
Need an ugly street governor on the car, that will shut it off and you will need to push it if you drive on it. Lol