Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

High beam, radio and defroster

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 PM
1 Year Member
Default High beam, radio and defroster

Hi all......

Well I know I have a short some where, just don't know how to go about finding it.

When disconnecting the battery cable, with vehicle off, there are small sparks, so I do know that means I have a short.

I have a 2005 LS. I bought the vehicle as a demo when they were "giving" 1 year of on-star. Well I never did anything witht he on-star.

Here's what I got. If the radio is on and I turn on the rear defrost, the radio goes staticy or real low on volume. Next is the driver's side high beam doesn't come on. I know the bulb is good because I've switched them out and get the same result.

When getting in my car, I get a message through the radio "Phone unavailable". I get the same message when leaving the car. This started when I tried to program my fob after replacing the battery. I don't know if this is tied to the on-star unit or related to the short.

Anyway.............does anyone have suggestions on how to find this short? I don't have a voltage meter/tester and I'm dumb enough not to know how to use one.

Any help would be very appreciated.

thanks.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by tj4ndirish
When disconnecting the battery cable, with vehicle off, there are small sparks, so I do know that means I have a short.
There are a couple different computers and sensors on the car that draw power even when it is off, so it is normal for a small spark to be seen when you connect/disconnect a battery cable. It doesn't mean you have a short.

If the radio is on and I turn on the rear defrost, the radio goes staticy or real low on volume.
The antenna is an integral part of the rear window. Static during reception can be an indicator that the antenna module (located behind the rear quarter interior panel) either has poor contact at the connectors or is defective.

Next is the driver's side high beam doesn't come on. I know the bulb is good because I've switched them out and get the same result.
The low and high beam light on the driver side are protected by the same fuse, so if the low beam is working that eliminates the fuse as being the problem. It could be the socket itself, the wiring or any of the switches that the power flows through in the circuit. The only way to determine the cause of the problem is to diagnose the circuit.

When getting in my car, I get a message through the radio "Phone unavailable". I get the same message when leaving the car. This started when I tried to program my fob after replacing the battery.
This is a new one to me. Have you tried to reprogram the remote again and see if that resolves the problem?

Old 01-08-2013, 01:28 PM
1 Year Member

So then none of these issues are tied together?

I've tried a few more times to program the fob with no luck. I should also say that the fob doesn't work at all. When programming, it does what it is suppose to, but when I go to try it, it doesn't work.

I'll have to wait until spring to try and take the car apart to check circuits, not too good with wiring issues.

Thanks for the quick reply.