Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Hesitation around 1500 RPM

Old 07-26-2018, 07:07 PM
Default Hesitation around 1500 RPM

05 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L SC - 110K Miles

I'm having a weird & inconsistent hesitation. Usually around 1500 RPM and 90% of the time going uphill. You can feel the car jerk a bit when it happens, but on a flat road it doesn't happen as much. I just had my plugs changed at 103K. I was thinking it might be the Cat building up back pressure, but not sure. I plan on replacing it anyways with a ZZP Down pipe & Cat.

I guess the jist is, what are your guys' thoughts on the issue, & if you have the ZZP Down pipe, how doesn't preform and sound?

Old 07-26-2018, 08:09 PM

This is either an ignition or transmission problem most likely. How old are the plug wires? I had the same issue and it was a bad plug wire to cylinder #4 for me. Does the transmission shift smoothly?

Old 07-26-2018, 08:29 PM

I'm with SuperchargedMonte sounds like a plug wire , are they the original set ? A few other idea's might be fuel filter, air filter and brand of plugs or perhaps you cracked the porcelain on a plug or the gap on the electrode installing them Good luck.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by SuperchargedMonte View Post
This is either an ignition or transmission problem most likely. How old are the plug wires? I had the same issue and it was a bad plug wire to cylinder #4 for me. Does the transmission shift smoothly?
Plugs re new as stated about 7K miles ago. Trans shifts fine.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS View Post
I'm with SuperchargedMonte sounds like a plug wire , are they the original set ? A few other idea's might be fuel filter, air filter and brand of plugs or perhaps you cracked the porcelain on a plug or the gap on the electrode installing them Good luck.
Wires changed with plugs 7K miles ago. Filters were changed at my 100K tune up.

I don't think it's a trans. If it were a failing trans, it would hold gear and slam hard? Gear shifts are smooth. It's just a stutter going uphill at a certain RPM, rarely happens on flat ground, which is why I'm thinking my Cat or even MAF now that I think about it.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:33 PM
Default *Update*

Car kept randomly stalling today. Figured I'd try something simple, unplugged my MAS and problems gone. Ordering a new one.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by TheKnight41 View Post
Car kept randomly stalling today. Figured I'd try something simple, unplugged my MAS and problems gone. Ordering a new one.
Did you mean MAF? What brand did you go with?

Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.