Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help! No dashboard lights :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Default Help! No dashboard lights :(

So I dont know what started causing it, but ill get in my car, turn it on, and the instrument cluster doesnt light up.

The PRND23 lights come on for a second and then get dim - same thing with the radio, it goes totally dim. Randomly when driving, the PRND23 will light back up but the instrument cluster still does not.

I havent noticed my brake lights not working, or anything else not working.

I havent checked fuses yet either, just making a post to try and get the ball rolling. Any ideas anyone?

Old 11-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You have a bad Combo Switch for headlights and dash dimmer. It is a common problem in these cars.I replaced mMine with a used one. It lasted me for about a year. Now I am having the same problem you are. My temp. solution is a flashlight under my seat. Whenever I need to know how fast I am going at night, I pull the flashlight out, check my speed then set my cruise control. You can find the switch on EBay between $50 - $60 under Headlight/Fog Light Switch. Good luck and safe driving!

Old 11-29-2013, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
You have a bad Combo Switch for headlights and dash dimmer. It is a common problem in these cars.I replaced mMine with a used one. It lasted me for about a year. Now I am having the same problem you are. My temp. solution is a flashlight under my seat. Whenever I need to know how fast I am going at night, I pull the flashlight out, check my speed then set my cruise control. You can find the switch on EBay between $50 - $60 under Headlight/Fog Light Switch. Good luck and safe driving!
Gotcha - thanks so much for the fast reply. Guys like you make this place pretty darn epic.

Where is this part accessed/replaced? Is it an easy fix? Should I buy the part online you think and just pay someone to put it in?

Thanks again

Old 11-29-2013, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member

You have to take the Front Dash cover off. There are a couple of Videos on YouTube on how to take the dash apart. You can get the part at the Dealership and NAPA might have it as well. I was looking it up today at work and found it to be least expensive online. I would also Recommend getting the Haynes manual for your car from your local auto parts. Even if you know cars, it's a good thing to have.
You will need a Philips Screw Driver. Otherwise its not a hard to do. Just keep in mind when removing the dash face that there are wires connected to your Headlight/Fog Light Switch, Your Hazard Switch are all attached to your Dash Face. So Pull it out CAREFULLY!

Old 11-29-2013, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
You have to take the Front Dash cover off. There are a couple of Videos on YouTube on how to take the dash apart. You can get the part at the Dealership and NAPA might have it as well. I was looking it up today at work and found it to be least expensive online. I would also Recommend getting the Haynes manual for your car from your local auto parts. Even if you know cars, it's a good thing to have.
You will need a Philips Screw Driver. Otherwise its not a hard to do. Just keep in mind when removing the dash face that there are wires connected to your Headlight/Fog Light Switch, Your Hazard Switch are all attached to your Dash Face. So Pull it out CAREFULLY!
Thanks! I'll probably type more in this thread if I run into any issues = good to know those are the only two things to really worry about when taking off the dash - If anyone else see's this and has anything to add, please feel free.

Thanks again

Old 11-29-2013, 09:37 PM

What year monte we dealing with? 95-99 are notorious on the headlite switches. Id go with a chilton manual, i have both haynes and a chilton book for my car(1997 monte) and other than a few bits of info the chilton is WAY more useful than the haynes, theres a reason chilton books cost more......

Old 11-29-2013, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by l67ss
What year monte we dealing with? 95-99 are notorious on the headlite switches. Id go with a chilton manual, i have both haynes and a chilton book for my car(1997 monte) and other than a few bits of info the chilton is WAY more useful than the haynes, theres a reason chilton books cost more......
It's a 2000 - I'm a little bit more used to Chilton guides, but not sure which way is best

Old 11-29-2013, 10:17 PM

Ok a2000 is diff from mine. I would go with chilton, haynes give more generic info for the most part. Plus chilton books do a better job of explaining
Originally Posted by RasCricket
It's a 2000 - I'm a little bit more used to Chilton guides, but not sure which way is best

Old 11-30-2013, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member

The Chilton's manuals are good too. If you have both, you will find that the information from one will compliment the other!