Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

HELP !! MY MONTE WONT START !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 04:38 AM
Default HELP !! MY MONTE WONT START !!

ok so heres the story... i have a 2004 SS and about 3 months ago i installed a viper alarm/keyless entry/remote start. its been starting up fine the past few months but about a week or two ago when i went to remote start it it didnt want to start. so i go inside my car and i try again to remote start it and it wouldnt start but i noticed all the needles on the gauges go up and the radio and lights turn on so i dont think its the battery. so then i try to start it with the key and it wont start. it doesnt want to crank or anything. andsometimes the brake pedal is jammed and it gets very tight and hard to press. whenever all this happens i wait about 20 minutes and then i try again and BOOM it starts right up like theres nothing wrong with it. so i dont know if its coming from the remote starter or if theres something wrong with my car. so lately i havent been using the remote starter because im scared this might happen again and i might get stuck somewhere so i just start it with the key. so far this hasnt happened to me since ive been using the key to start my car but i still want to get the problem fixed. do you think its coming from the remote start ?? or is there some kind of part thats gone bad ?? because it only happens every couple of days but i want to get the problem resolved before it happens permanently and i wont be able to start my car anymore. i would appreciate any advice you guys have. thanks.[/align]

Old 04-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Default RE: HELP !! MY MONTE WONT START !!

take it to the folks that installed that alarm and explain it to them EXACTLY like you did here.
it would not start so you try it with the key and it still dont after you wait it will
Now tha tyour useing the key alnoe and not the remote it seems to not be doing it anymore.

Honestly it sounds like to me you have a fulty Remote start system in it and it is on the way out

Old 04-02-2007, 12:09 AM

I had this exact problem. One real easy fix to check is to make sure that the passlock box is still plugged in. There is a small harness that was loose on mine and just needed to be reconnected. It is a small 2x2x1 inch box and is usually located under the dash by the steering column.

I have a link below to show what it looks like and you can see the wire harness that needs to be secure on it.

http://www.audiowarehouse.peachhost.com/ct_455t.JPG

Old 08-23-2007, 02:10 PM

My 2000SS is doing this same thing. Turn the key on some days, no start. All lights, radio, work fine. Starter doesn't click, almost acts like it isn't getting power. No remote start or aftermarket wiring of any kind. Is this 'passlock' box a factory item, or were you referring to something that had to do with the alarm?

Old 08-23-2007, 07:23 PM

mine did this also but i found out the starter wires were coroded real bad from the factory bat. never seen it on top by the bat. happen to see it while doing it's normal tune up.

But you can also check the wires for the starter and also teh bat.
or check to see if you have a blowen fuse on the pass. side of the car or under the hood or even in the drivers side of the car fuse box.

If i see you havent gotten figured out before i find them again i will look it up in the factory mauals that i have and see wha tit says but we are moving out of a over priced apartment right nwo in to a house with a whole lot better rent tag on it LOL

Old 08-23-2007, 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: old chevy lover

My 2000SS is doing this same thing. Turn the key on some days, no start. All lights, radio, work fine. Starter doesn't click, almost acts like it isn't getting power. No remote start or aftermarket wiring of any kind. Is this 'passlock' box a factory item, or were you referring to something that had to do with the alarm?
Passlock is a security system built into GM vehicles to avoid theft. In the past they were easy to see as it was that small black resistor that stuck out of the key. Now the resistance is built in the key.

If you have an aftermarket alarm, I would check the bypass module. If you are using the factory equipment then it might be the key cylinder itself that needs replacing.