Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Dash dismantle

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Default Dash dismantle

I have an 87 monte...anyone know how to completly take off the dash in the mid 80s montes? It seems like it's just something near the steering colum that is holding it on and I took off a few screws from the area...it might even be some where deep in that area....anyone can help?

Old 08-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Default RE: Dash dismantle

there should be some in the middel of the dash DEEP on the firewall
some behind the glove box on the fire wall and also some on the drivers side deep on the fire wall

Also i belive there are a coupel in the kick pannel area in that year that actually go from bottom to top.

then there are several screws acrossed the top in the vents that help hold it on.

But you might also check on the out side by the heater core to make sure there are none in there from the out side in.

other then that i would start taking all tha tyou can find that look like they are attached to the bracing on the dash.

Around the fuse pannel i belive there are some also. and in certin years the fuse pannel has to be removed also to ge tthe dash out. if this is the case you can open it up and get it to come apart and then get the dash out of the way and close it back up agian,.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:56 PM

american cars are supposed to make this easy

I got the passenger side no problem. I have 2 think from the bottom of the driver side and the 4 across the top. Next time I am able to work on it, I will look towards the fire wall and try to follow up...found a dead mouse in the carpet stuff they put behind the kick panels...haha....he got caught in there and could get his feet out...looked like he was there for a while. I might also wanna take out the passenger seat to make my life a bit easier.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:50 PM

I would recommend just tugging on the dash and where it seems to stick look for screws or clamps.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator

I would recommend just tugging on the dash and where it seems to stick look for screws or clamps.

thats what I was doing...I just couldn't find these pesky screws so I gave up for the day