Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help! Monte problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 PM
Default Help! Monte problem!

Okay here's my story haha

I have a 2000 SS (roughly 175,000kms on it), I haven't been driving it alot all summer (been on my bike) but it was taken out from time to time. Anyways a few days ago when I left work, As soon as I turned the key the check engine light came on, but the car ran fine the whole way home. That night I was out driving and it was fine, till I left a parking lot and then the car starting bucking, so I pulled over and checked a few things out, started it back up and it drove fine for the next few days.

Here's the problem, The other morning I pulled out onto the street and started to go, and it stalled, and kept doing so once I touched the gas pedal, it would die, however I could drive the car no problem at about 20 barely touching the gas pedal. So I thought that maybe I got a bad tank of gas, or water got in with the gas, So I put more fuel in it and some gas line antifreeze and the car has been fine ever since except for one problem. When I get up to about 90kph and take my foot off the pedal, the rpm's jump up and down about 500rpms until the car slows down then it's fine. It also idles slighty weird from time to time, again jumping up and down. One mechanic I work with suggested the TPS sensor may be gone, or the fuel filter maybe clogged (the fuel filter was replaced about 10 months ago).

Anyone had similar problems? and knows what it probably is instead of buying parts I don't need? I know putting a code reader on and finding out what the light is on for is probably the best first step right? and go from there.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:14 AM
Default RE: Help! Monte problem!

My brother had some what close to the same problems as what you said with his Grand prix with the 3.8 and all that it was, was a dirty MAF sensor.

I just took the sensor out and sprayed it with some MAF sensor cleaner from any auto parts store and he hasnt had a problem sense.

just in idea before you go and spend alot of money on parts that you might not need, and when you are at the auto store getting the cleaner just have them scan the car for any codes.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Help! Monte problem!

If the CEL is on, take it to Auto Zone and have them read the codes, and then clear them after writing them down. Tell us what the codes are. Might be a clogged catalytic convertor, but I don't think so.