Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Headliner/sunroof button help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:56 AM
Default Headliner/sunroof button help!!

I'm back again you guys.. 00 LS with sunroof... now my question is... I had a leak in my sunroof recently that I have fixed... now my headliner is hanging down like when wood swells up after getting wet... so now I want to replace the whole headliner but my headliner only has the sunroof button... the headliner I want to put in has the home link and the information center.. is it possible to swap these out??? I just want to know before I go tearing the interior apart.. it would be nice to have the miles per gallon on the info center in the home link thingy...

Old 01-07-2015, 10:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can swap these out, but you will need to use the entire wiring harness that is glued on your new headliner. If not you will need to make some changes for the DIC to work.
Also you need to add a temp sensor to the front of the car. The wiring is there for the sensor. It sits on front of the radiator/ac condenser behind the front nose.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the reply.. and is the temp sensor shaped like a bullet?? Because I see a sensor right in front of the radiator clipped to the frame in the middle front of the car.. if that's not it would you happen to have a pic of the sensor I need to grab?? Thanks Jason

Last edited by kehendrix89; 01-07-2015 at 11:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-07-2015, 11:21 AM

10 Year Member

I'm on my phone at the moment, but if you can google:
Bbengineer DIC

You will find all you need to know and more about adding a DIC to a monte and impala.

FYI - if you don't have a headliner, I have a plug and play DIC install kit for sale in our classifieds if it is of any help (I built the kit like what bbengineer described and installed one in my monte and my wife's impala).

Old 01-07-2015, 11:42 AM

OK I googled it... I see the temp sensor is the bullet shaped thing I have that but I don't have a headliner yet... you have the whole headliner? Did you have to splice any wires to hook it up??

Old 01-07-2015, 06:28 PM

10 Year Member

What I did in both cars was make a plug-n-play T-Harness, this avoided my having to replace my entire roof harness (I got the idea from BBEngineer, he used to sell T-harnesses for this purpose). I made my T-harness from part of the roof harness from a junk yard car.
By doing this, I only had to remove the trim along the roof. And because I was extra cautious, I took the back seat out to remove the upper-rear passenger quarter trim and the speaker deck cover (I might have been able to do it without all that, but I did not want to risk cracking anything). The T-harness plugs in the back passenger side under the speaker deck. After that, I tucked the harness I made up under the roof, cut the hole in my headliner and mounted everything. I think it took 2 hours per car to install this way.
After doing those two on my Monte and the Impala, since BBEngineer no longer offers this stuff, I built a kit and I'm offer one for sale. If you want to see what it looks like, here it is:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...01/#post556620

Since you are replacing the entire headliner, your best bet is get one from a car that has all the wiring you require, swap the liner with the roof harness. If I were you that's what I would do. Then it's a clean plug-n-play swap.

In both cases, I had to re-calibrate the compass on the DIC (found it funny, had to initiate a reboot and then drive in donut less then 5 MPH).