Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Have to hold key on for 10,20,30 seconds before car will crank

Old 10-13-2014, 08:59 AM
Default Have to hold key on for 10,20,30 seconds before car will crank

2001 SS 3800 My wife's Monte doesn't want to turn over right away when you turn the key over. This issue has been getting progressively worse. Meaning in the morning (first start) you have to hold the key over it will do nothing then bang she cranks and fires up. Runs great. Once shes warm it starts normal (car not wife). really have had no problems with the car. I have replaced the starter a couple months back 150 k. Thought that might be the problem but didn't correct it.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:25 AM

Hi Denny,
Sorry to read about your problem & I hope one of our expert tech member's can assist.

* Have you checked the connection on your starter that you installed & make sure it's tight (?)

** Your ignition could be bad ?

*** Have you tried your other key ?

**** Keys pick up a lot of stuff & sometimes get in the ignition switch...It pays to keep your key(s) clean
Also, don't hang other stuff on your key ring (it can wear the ignition.

Keeping your keys clean is important for hygienic purposes and to prevent malfunctions. There are various ways you can clean a car key with household products, but depending on the type of key you have, some methods will be more suitable than others. Some car keys are equipped with electronic chips so submerging them in liquids will not be the best option. However, a variety of cleaning and natural acidic products should be sufficient to clean the average metal car key.
Cleaning metal car keys

Remove the keys you want to clean from the key chain and dampen a cleaning cloth with warm water. Clean the whole surface of the key with that cleaning cloth. The purpose is to remove any excess of dirt that might cause a malfunction (if the key is used to start the
engine

). Apply a small amount of tooth paste to an old tooth brush you don't intend to use again. Brush the surface continuously without using water. This will help remove impurities. When you're finished brushing, wipe the key clean again with the cleaning cloth.

Fill a bowl with lemon juice or vinegar to a level where the surface of the key will be covered. Leave the key in the bowl overnight. The acidic liquids will go to work on the metal. Remove the key from the bowl in the morning, wipe it clean and it should be ready to use
Cleaning car keys with electronic chips

Dampen a cleaning cloth with warm water and remove any excess dirt from the surface of the key. The important thing is to prevent the section of the key that contains any electronic chip to get completely wet. Cleaning it with a dampen cloth will not affect it.
Following similar steps to cleaning a metal key, dampen a tooth brush with lemon juice or toothpaste and brush off any impurities from the key's metal surface.

Finally, apply ketchup or toothpaste on the metal port of the key. Cover the entire surface with either substance, and leave it on overnight. Remove the ketchup or toothpaste next morning with a cleaning cloth and your key will be clean and ready to be used again.
I hope the above helps until one of our expert member's makes a post to help you ...Good Luck

Last edited by Space; 10-13-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:39 AM

Starter has been installed 2 months or more. The old starter was doing the same thing. With 150 k on the starter I figured might as well replace it. This delay could possibly be a security issue or maybe BCM not sure, thats why I'm checking this forum Somebody has to of had this problem. As for the key chain. Tell your wife to not hang stuff from it, Right.LOL . She has had stuff hanging for 14 yrs. I'm not telling her that . Thanks though !!

Old 10-13-2014, 09:55 AM

Hi Denny,
Keep checking back (it's early Monday morning) & I hope one of our expert member's can help you with this problem.
Good Luck.
Can Too Many Keys Cause Intermittent Starting Problems ...

www.automotivetherapy.com/automotive-fact-or-fiction-can-too-many-...

Jun 3, 2012 - If you carry a large key chain and have it hang from your car's ignitionswitch you could be causing damage which will need to be repaired at an ...

">Automotive Fact or Fiction? Can Too Many Keys ... - Patch

patch.com/.../bp--automotive-fact-or-fiction-can-too-many-...
Patch Media

Jun 5, 2012 - The weight of a heavy key chain can pull downward on the ignition ...pressure and swinging back and forth can cause damage. ... 5 Things You Can Do to Destroy that Destructive Habit (GoWeLoveIt.info)(GoWeLoveIt.info).

">Is it true that 'heavy key chains' are bad on your ignition?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20081004193129AAQ01gs

- "The heavy weight of the excessive keys or key chain can cause ... Yestoo much weight will just put unnecessary stress on your ignition over time. ... with your car keys or else you might risk damaging the ignition thing. 1. 0.

">Will having too many keys on a key chain make the ignition ...

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20100116132152AAX0xP6

Jan 16, 2010 - Will having too many keys on a key chain make the ignition go bad? ...weight of the keys bouncing while you drive will weaken and damage the key cylinder. 4... Is it bad for your ignition to have a lot of stuff on your key chain?

Is Carrying Too Many Keys Bad For Your Ignition ...

www.prolocksmithsandiego.com/.../is-carrying-too-many-keys-bad-for-...

That is the obvious thing to do if you have a tendency to lose keys, but what you may not know is the damage that is being done to your vehicle's ignition system. ... A heavykeychain weighs down the ignition and can one day cause it to fail.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Space posted some good tips. A couple more things to check is your battery voltage. A bad cell in it may provide enough amperage to rotate the starter and fire the engine. Once the engine has run for a while a surface charge in the battery is provided by the alternator which provides enough amperage for the starter to rotate faster (creating more compression in the engine) so it fires right up.

Another thing to check is the resistance of the battery cables. Excessive resistance will reduce the amperage that reaches the starter. The battery may have just enough amperage to get the engine to fire, then once again the battery gets a surface charge and there is more voltage which supplies more amperage to the starter.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My first thought was also the battery.

These cars require a high CCA (cold crank amp) and you might be on the border of that number right now.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:01 PM

When I turn the key I get nothing. So I hold the key on start sometimes I have to hold it there +30 seconds. then it doesn't crank slow it bangs just like it should when it fires. Battery is 100 %. If you know mc's they can corrode a battery cable quick. I'm on top of this car, it is my wife's. She loves the car so I make sure it is running in top condition. I will do a load test and make sure the battery is 100% on load. I have personally never seen nothing like this.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 AM

Contacts in the ignition switch. The grease congeals, holding the spring loaded contacts back. While you're holding the switch in the crank position, the contact slowly move into position, and the car starts.

I've seen this a few times, and not just with ignition switches.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:12 AM

My thought was to do the key cylinder. What you are saying makes sense I might try spraying it with maybe a liquid graphite or something. If that don't work I'll get a new cylinder and keys. Good starting point. Thanks for your time.