General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Most GM Rear-Drive On Hold : (

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Most GM Rear-Drive On Hold : (

Lutz: Most Of GM’s Rear-Drive Future “On Hold” Due To Possible Regulation Changes
[:-]
According to an article in today’s Chicago Tribune, General Motor’s rear-drive initiative is in trouble. While the next Camaro is still moving forward, car czar Bob Lutz has indicated that “…anything after that is questionable or on the bubble.” That shocking bit of news means that the Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo, and even any Camaro derivatives (Pontiac Firebird, etc.) are all a big question mark. So too, is a replacement for Buick’s Lucerne, and a sub-CTS-sized Cadillac.
According to Lutz, the problem is…
that company’s planned rear-drivers are all larger and heavier, which exacts a heavy toll on fuel economy. President George Bush’s new Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards, if enacted, would make it very tough for GM to be compliant with these new cars. Says Lutz: “We don’t know how to get 30 percent better mileage” [from these cars]. Lutz says that GM will decide the fate of these models when the government figures out how to proceed on CO(-2) levels and updated CAFE standards.
Could this all be a bit of Lutzian theater, designed to discourage Washington from enacting tougher emissions and fuel-economy standards? Or are a good portion of GM’s future vehicles now well-and-truly on the ropes? Have your say in “Comments.”
+ Chicago Tribune: GM puts brake on rear-drive vehicles
[hr]
Members, What do you Think ?

Old 04-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Default RE: Most GM Rear-Drive On Hold : (

I think they will have us all driving those new MINI CARS you posted pictures of Space,while they fly around the country in Air Force One and then ride aroundtheir ssstttrreetttcchhh limos to preach about conservation.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:50 PM

Government just loves getting into everyones POCKETS. On way or another........

Old 04-10-2007, 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Laserblue06ss

I think they will have us all driving those new MINI CARS you posted pictures of Space,while they fly around the country in Air Force One and then ride aroundtheir ssstttrreetttcchhh limos to preach about conservation.
[:-]3-4 MPG [:-]It should be locked behind bars [:-]
Where's the Truth & Justice ?
I wish that I could have grown up in the 60's & 70's when my Grandfather did...The Muscle Car Era
What era do you wish you grew up ?
Thanks Members for your post & feedback...
I learn something everyday on the MCF : )
Thanks...`Space

Old 04-10-2007, 05:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

If I was 16 in 1956, this would exactly be the car I'd own.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:40 PM

Space, here is a cool ride for off-roading on your home planet. Complete with navigator.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:42 PM

When I was 16,I could have bought a nice 1967 Plymouth GTX that was for sale in our town for $900.It was a 440 with a four speed,red with black interior.My dad said it was too much car for a kid.Now that car in the shape I remember would bring $25000 or more.(that was around 1974).

Old 04-10-2007, 05:43 PM

Of course though, I grew up following the guitar gods of the 1970's. So I ended up with one of these.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:56 PM

[align=center]Grandpa `Dave you find some Wild Rides : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]If I was a teen in 1956 I would want this [:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It's 4-Sale on E-Bay for Current Bid $27,600 [/align][align=center]WoW, it's JUSTFreak'in BEAUTIFUL[/align]

Old 04-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

great lookin 56 space....needs the bird on the hood though...i really like the look of that thing...when dad gets his 56 out of storage i will take some pics and get them posted up

the 56 is my favorite of the 55-57 cars...front end is just beautiful

Quick Reply: Most GM Rear-Drive On Hold : (