Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Has anyone really ever fixed a P0440 evap code

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:22 AM
Default more detailed info and, hopefully, a fix

read this first
http://www.justanswer.com/car/15t7y-...dtc-p0440.html

The EVAP canister is located in its' own little cubby behind the driver side rear tire. If you lay on your back at the rear corner of the driver side you will see it directly above.
Unfortunately I do not have access to a smoke machine nor do I have the fine troubleshooting skills and knowledge needed to directly correct this problem. So, taking the advice of the above link, I accessed the top of my fuel tank through the removable panel in the trunk and replaced the fuel tank pressure sensor. It was very easy. I cleared the code and will let everyone know if it cures my problem. The code always came back within a few days so after a week I'll update this post.

Please see attached images I have prepared for everyone.
MM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0003091W03-041.JPG (83.4 KB, 32 views)
060211MW03-086.JPG (75.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mines constantly comes on don't know where to start lookin

Old 05-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Default P0440 problems solved !!!

Jack up your car at the driver side rear on the subframe. CAREFUL.. Remove the driver rear tire. Look at the upper left corner of the wheel well. You will see the fuel tank. Located on top of it is the vapor canister. It has three lines connected to it. (see attached images) Two lines are smaller and have connectors and the third one (on the right) is much larger with a squeeze clamp. If this line has blown off or is loose, this is your problem !!!!!! My guess is that at some time in this cars' past, the fuel tank was overfilled. This led to an over pressurization of the fuel tank which resulted in this line blowing off. It is a pain to put this thing back on. I had to pull it down and rotate the clamp so that when it was placed back on the port I could reach the clamp with pliers. It takes a little patience but I did it in less than a minute. I have been driving my car for the last two days without a code and my gas mileage is 32 Hwy and 29 city. WOW ! Please feel free to ask any questions. I'll be glad to help.

Attached Images
on top of fuel tank.jpg (90.4 KB, 43 views)
fuel tank exploded view.jpg (84.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 05-11-2014, 08:19 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by gmjunkyard
Jack up your car at the driver side rear on the subframe. CAREFUL.. Remove the driver rear tire. Look at the upper left corner of the wheel well. You will see the fuel tank. Located on top of it is the vapor canister. It has three lines connected to it. (see attached images) Two lines are smaller and have connectors and the third one (on the right) is much larger with a squeeze clamp. If this line has blown off or is loose, this is your problem !!!!!! My guess is that at some time in this cars' past, the fuel tank was overfilled. This led to an over pressurization of the fuel tank which resulted in this line blowing off. It is a pain to put this thing back on. I had to pull it down and rotate the clamp so that when it was placed back on the port I could reach the clamp with pliers. It takes a little patience but I did it in less than a minute. I have been driving my car for the last two days without a code and my gas mileage is 32 Hwy and 29 city. WOW ! Please feel free to ask any questions. I'll be glad to help.
000000 I always used to fill up at 17 gallons. Now I do 16.5
This might be my issue

Old 05-11-2014, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member

Nope that hose is connected

Old 05-14-2014, 10:49 AM
Default try this

The method I used to find the leak was simple. I disconnected the hard plastic hose that runs to the back from the solenoid valve on top of the engine. (see image location) I then used my rubber tipped air hose and gently pressurized the fuel tank from that hose while having someone else listen from atop the tank after removing the fuel pump access plate in the trunk. All I did was listen and that was all it took. If the system has a leak this will find it. If the problem is a solenoid valve of course it will not. Solenoid valves can be tested by energizing the connections while blowing through one end. Be careful to use the right amount of voltage. If I remember correctly it was 5 volts? You can check all of the o-rings this way too. Good luck. I don't know a lot but I will try to help.
MM

Attached Images
Old 05-14-2014, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member

Ahh that sux I don't have access to that. J might just jave to get a smoke test done

Old 05-15-2014, 04:35 PM

If you know anyone that has an air tank maybe you can borrow it. All it takes is a quiet area and a source of compressed air.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by gmjunkyard
If you know anyone that hasg an air tank maybe you can borrow it. All it takes is a quiet area and a source of compressed air.
Yup looks like I have neither lol

Old 09-26-2014, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member

hey still lookng to fixthis, any body know what a vent valve is located

Quick Reply: Has anyone really ever fixed a P0440 evap code