Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Gauge cluster goes haywire

Old 10-31-2014, 03:01 PM
1 Year Member
Default Gauge cluster goes haywire

I have a 2001 Monte Carlo SS and my gauge cluster will shut off and go haywire all the time. It does not matter whether it is parked or i am driving. Aside from it being really annoying and making my car chimes go off and everything on the cluster not working i can't see how fast I'm going a lot of the time I have seen this problem a lot on other forums for Chevys around this time period but when my cars gauge cluster shuts down so will the thing by my rear view mirror that tells me my mpg and the temperature and direction and what not, sorry don't know what that's called. And my scan gauge that's plugged into my obd port will shut down; however, everything else in my car will stay on including radio, ac, engine, ...etc. I was just gonna replace the the gauge cluster but because of my scan gauge and my mpg/temp thing messing up with it I'm not for sure what to do. I know it could be a short but could the gauge cluster be tied to the other 2 things going wrong simultaneously?
If anybody has had this problem and could please help that'd be awesome!

Old 10-31-2014, 04:21 PM

Hi Brandon, Sorry to read about your Problem
(Check back on your thread to see what our expert tech Member's post on this problem)

Check out the below & I hope it helps...Let us know `OK...
Good Luck

Repair Guide: Finally!!! Gauge Cluster Problem Fix!! - Stepper Motor ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
04 Intimidator

• Chevrolet Monte Carlo Reviews and Owner Comments

repairpal.com/chevrolet/monte+carlo/car_reviews

2004 monte carlo ss, the headlights are staying on after the car is shut off .... but willnot go off,on all the time,even when you turn car off.did some internet searching and found someone with same issues,told ... 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo ... I was told theinstrument clusters on these go out a lot, and that's what I need to get.

Last edited by Space; 10-31-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:01 AM

Either your PCM( engine controller) or BCM (body control module) is defective. Probably the BCM.

Last edited by gprtech; 11-10-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:40 PM

It's possible it could just be the ignition switch, my 2001 ls doesn't have quite as many electronics as yours but the switch is a known issue and it's pretty cheap and easy to do yourself. Might be well worth it before looking at bigger money for computer modules. My gauges and multiples dash lights including security were wigging out and replacing the ignition switch cured all. Only needed the switch and was able to use the original key cylinder.