Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Fuel Pump, Inline Filter, Water/ Methanol injection for Turbocharged 03 SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:30 AM
1 Year Member

That looks really nice.

Whose rails?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:34 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Just flipping through some turbo setups on clubgp, and came across an L26 (NA 3800) with aftermarket logs:

Pretty sure those are PRJs?
Contacting PRJ to see what they have now.

I'll let y'all know

Thank you very much for your responses.

Take Care,

ps I may be doing an engine swap here soon. Think I burned #2 hole and it is currently as dead cylinder.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:46 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Just flipping through some turbo setups on clubgp, and came across an L26 (NA 3800) with aftermarket logs:

Pretty sure those are PRJs?
I sorta like the vacuum hose with the bolt stuck in it and the front brace with the bolt missing...

It looked really nice and then I started playing what's wrong with this picture.

This is likely a really stupid question but, What is the breather filter on the manifold?

Hey, it still looks a hell of a lot better than mine does right now.

I'm workin' on it. No pics till I'm done.

Y'all take care.

Last edited by rlj4214; 09-01-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: stupid sentence problem.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Please state if you are pressurized and if it is a Turbo or belt drive and if it is intercooled.

Belt Driven Gen V M90 Supercharger Non-I/C

1( What is the normal pressure and flow rate for the stock fuel pump?

Should 46 PSI at the rails for an L36. I don't know exactly how much the pump puts out at the tank though.

2( Are their other interchangeable in tank pumps that have a higher output volume and pressure?

Yes, Racetronix and Walbro as stated before

3( Is there a specific in line fuel filter that is preferable?

Not necessarily. Some people use the fuel filter from a Tahoe if they run E85 though.

4( What micron size filtration would be recommended for extended injector life??

Not really a mitigating factor.

5( Are you using a fuel cell?

No

6( Are you running Nitrous, what brand, size?

Bottles are for babies.

7( Are you running water / methanol injection?

No but I plan to be soon.

8( Do you run stock fuel lines or braided stainless or something else?

Stock.

9( Are you running an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, what kind?

No

10( Are you running a fuel pressure gauge?

No

11( What size and make injectors are you using?

Stock L67(33lb) for now, I have 80# in the garage, and 65# currently on order.

12( Cold air induction? Fabricated or kit?

Speedbuilt FWI kit

Side Note: Good to see the real modders in here talking about the good stuff. lol

Old 08-31-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by rlj4214
A quick Fuel Pump question.

I was told that the pump out of a Grand Prix was interchangeable with the Monte Carlo ss.

Is that true?
To a certain extent yes. The Grand Prix GT is the same as the MC. But the GTP(in certain years) is equipped with a venturi port retrieval system. Which is not compatible with the fuel pump basket the Monte Carlo has. In order to upgrade to a Walbro or Racetronix, modification to the fuel pump assembly needs to be made. Mostly by finding an old GTP pump with the venturi port pick up, cutting the top half of it off and replacing that with the top half to the Monte Carlo.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:25 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by PacerSS
To a certain extent yes. The Grand Prix GT is the same as the MC. But the GTP(in certain years) is equipped with a venturi port retrieval system. Which is not compatible with the fuel pump basket the Monte Carlo has. In order to upgrade to a Walbro or Racetronix, modification to the fuel pump assembly needs to be made. Mostly by finding an old GTP pump with the venturi port pick up, cutting the top half of it off and replacing that with the top half to the Monte Carlo.
Thanks,

That is the route I am currently taking.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:47 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by rlj4214
Contacting PRJ to see what they have now.

I'll let y'all know

Thank you very much for your responses.

Take Care,

ps I may be doing an engine swap here soon. Think I burned #2 hole and it is currently a dead cylinder.

Well,,, They aren't PRJ and they aren't from ZZ Performance. I can't find anybody that makes them.

You can run them BUT, below is from ZZ Performance:

( We have two kits, one is a top swap requiring changing the heads.

One is our SS M90 where you run a modified L67 intake with SS M90 fuel logs.

Thank you for your business,

Zoomer

ZZPerformance.com )

So it would seem that if you made the mistake of buying a non supercharged car you have to change the top end or stick with stock. At least that is the way another message that was sent to me made it sound. How dare me not have a supercharged engine. Of course it was a little tough to do since the 2003 MC was not supercharged.

I will not include that message here as it created ill will and a good deal of frustration and is really not part of the subject. The fault was at a minimum partially mine due to a very frustrating day.

And yes the #2 hole is damaged, fortunately I have another engine sitting here.

Last edited by rlj4214; 09-02-2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: stupid sentence problem, I guess I do that when i'm irritated. sorry
Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 PM

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. But I have gone from N/A to boosted now and kept the same engine(sort of). If you got any questions feel free to ask.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:20 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by PacerSS
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. But I have gone from N/A to boosted now and kept the same engine(sort of). If you got any questions feel free to ask.
Well at this point in the thread i'm trying to find fuel rails because they look cool and make it really easy to hook up a pressure sensor and I absolutely hate the way the stock rails look.

The point in the beginning was just to sorta start conversation see what others were running.

I've pressureized since about 2007 in this car and 2 engines later i'm still loving it. Salvage motors last long enough to play with and I have a tendancy to sorta lean on the car a bit at times.

This time I think i'm goint to go ahead and build one and make it puurty. Aand yeah I sorta fried #2 hole on the current engine. oops. Stayed in that o e a little too long. Hey, it's a toy. Sometimes toys break.

My quest for good looking fuel rails using the L36 heads and aluminum intake has proven fruitless and frustrating.

Have picked up some good information and ideas here and I want to thank all of you for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

One result is that I did purchase a water/methanol unit. AEM instead of Snow because of the price. My current plan is to run 2 injectors. A larger one in front of the turbo and a smaller one somewhere close to the throtle body. Still studying that scenario and and trying to determin size and exact location at this point and since I have direct access to methenol so I will run a 50% mix with distilled water and filter.

Y'all take care, may your fuel mix never lean out and burn you.

Sent from my phone so forgive the typo's and stuff.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:01 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't think there's anything stopping someone from using an L67 rail(billet log or similar) on an L36. The bolt locations should be the same if not easily modifiable. The fuel supply and return hookups should be as well. Now the only problem would be trying to run and 05/6+ returnless fuel system to it.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump, Inline Filter, Water/ Methanol injection for Turbocharged 03 SS