Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Fuel Injection to Carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Default Fuel Injection to Carburetor

I am going to swap engines, a 4.3 liter FI for a 350 carburetor version. I was going to put a fuel pressure regulator in line between the gas tank and the carburetor (4-6 lbs) to drop the pressure. I was told that my electric fuel pump in the tank is putting out 35 lbs of pressure. This is too much for a regulator to handle. Does anyone know if a 4.3 FI pump puts out this much pressure? This is a throttle body injection system. I have no way of hooking up a line gauge to verify. I was planning on using a mechanical pump on the new engine to feed fuel to the carb. Is there some way to modify the gas tank sending unit to eliminate the electric pump? Can I use a sending unit out of a V8 car or will it not fit in my tank? Do I need to change out the tank? I sure would appreciate any help on this.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:33 AM
Default RE: Fuel Injection to Carburetor

I'm not sure of the exact pressure of your pump, but i do knoow that the stock in-tank pumps are way to much for a carb. There is however a regulator that you can buy(I think my nephew picked up one for his S-10 conversion for around $60.00).Myself ,I would hit the local bone yard in search of a carburated model and get the sender out of the tank,then just go with the mech. pump idea that you got.(probably cheaper that way also) I hope this helps you out.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:42 PM

check out summit or jegs for some regulators. I would stay with the electric pump. Just one less thing for your motor to run and alot easier to bolt in a reg that dropping the tank and playing eith that mess

Old 11-17-2006, 11:00 PM

This is really neat. A friend of mine just did a fuel injection to carb conversion with an S-10 P/U. He just pulled the fuse for the electric fuel pump so it won't run. The mechanical pump on the engine sucks the gas out of the tank right thru the pump. Who would have thunk that? lol. Thanks, everyone.