Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Front end woble?

Old 01-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Default Front end woble?

I have a 83 monte carlo ss and a few day ago a had a slight vibrations in the steering wheel, i didnt really think much of it, just though i should get an alighment soon, i also noticed it pulled a little to the right a little bit. yesterday i hit a pot hole pretty hard and now sometimes wobles kinda bad like after a turn and it usally goes mostly away after i go straight a little while. I checked the tie rod ends and couldn't tell any excesive play in them. It seems that the steering box has a little slack in it maybe. I have two tractors that do a similar thing and it is caused by the slack in the steering gear box. Anyone ever here of this happening on a monte, should i just take it to a good shop that does alighments and see what they say?

Old 01-16-2007, 02:33 AM
Default RE: Front end woble?

you may have a bad tire or possibly a bent rim. lift the front end of the car up and spin the front tires and see if any of them have a lot of movement. as for alignment, you should get it at least checked. being a service manager, i recommend it be at least checked twice a year to prevent tire wear. alignment will not directly cause a vibration issue, unless your tires are badly worn due to bad alignment.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:17 AM

i would defently take it in if you cant see a issue in there. Just C.Y.A. i would make sure the front end in it is in good shape or you might be picking it up on a tow hook later.

also might be time to look in ot just rebuilding the front end deendign ont ehmiles you have on to it.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:19 PM

if it was a bad tire or a bent rim it would do it all the time right? but it doesnt, just like when im comming to a stop after the turn then it will quite after i go straight for a while, i dotn think its the rotors either as it doesnt correnspond with the brakes all the time its kinda looking like its a sterring box issue, is there rebuild kits? the parts car im getting soon (whenever the guy delivers it) i might rob the one off of it.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:35 PM

ok guys thanks for the help but I fiexed it myself in about 5 mins.
Today it started to get bad and it pissed me off so I looked at it somemore and I was convinced it was the steering gear box, do i did some google searching on fixing play in a steering box and came up with this http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070102184127AA4QxtR, so i thought could it really be that easy so i go out and look and sure enough theres this little shaft with a nut on it and the end of the shaft has a allen head top so i put an allen wrench on it, losened the nut cranked the allen wrench all the way down, (a turn or two) then tigheten the nut up real good and test drove it and no more wobble, lol i like when things are free to fix lol

Old 01-16-2007, 07:51 PM

most of the time when you do that you dont want to tighten it to far. it is a wearabel part in there.
try backing it off a turn and see if it is still the same but not at tight.

congrats on the fix.

also i cant rember the year that would corispond on the monte. but i know the older camro gear boxes will fit on the monte also and if you get theSS version it was a close ratio

Old 01-17-2007, 12:57 AM

Yea i just read that somewhere too, im gonna loosen it back up intil it starts doing it again then tighten it up just enough for it to stop, i may have it a little to tight, i snugged him up pretty good