Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Default Fog Lights

Ok, so while I was getting ready to winterize my car, I got to thinking... I have known that I had fog light lenses, but the fog button never turned the lights on. I looked real close and saw that they had bulbs. So I decided to call the previous owner, my cousin, and ask if they ever worked. She said that they work and the bulbs and wiring is all there. All I have to do is plug them in, and flip the switch or something. If anyone would be willing to point me in the correct direction, I would greatly appreciate it if I could get them turned on before the cold settles in too soon. Should I do this myself or go to a shop? If you need more info please just post, Ill be happy to give as much as I can.

~Tyler

Old 12-02-2009, 11:16 PM

Have you, by any chance, tried the fog lights with the headlight's switch on? Otherwise they will not come on! BTW, the fog lights will turn off whenever you turn on your high beams.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:51 PM

Yes i Just tried it, Does anyone have a link to like a manual or something that way i can follow it to the part they stopped at.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:20 AM

Did the car come with the fog lights installed? If it didn't you may have to have your BCM programmed for fog lights. A gm master tech scan tool should do it to turn the feature on in the BCM, again, if the fog lights are after market. If that's not the case, check the fog light switch since it may be faulty. I was having issues with mine when I bought the car earlier this year.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:01 AM

So if I take it into a chevy dealer, they should be able to help me out, or should I go to a custom place where they won't try to swindle me.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:19 AM

you should be able to remove the headlight and get to the fog light bulb from there...one of my fog lights didnt work so i went to auto zone to get a new pair..then low and behold as soon as I went in there i saw that the bulb was unplugged....corrected that and its been perfectly fine since..

Old 12-03-2009, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by captaindamnit
So if I take it into a chevy dealer, they should be able to help me out, or should I go to a custom place where they won't try to swindle me.
I'd check to make sure that the bulbs and connections are working properly first. If no fault is found then I'd take it to the dealer to have the system checked! You never answered if the fog lights are after market so I'm assuming they are, and if they are, the BCM needs to be programmed for the fog lights to work. Did the fog lights worked for your cousin?

Old 12-03-2009, 07:21 AM

Oh, sorry, I forgot to answer that one. The story goes that she had purchased the car with the fog light option. She then wrecked the front end of the car, so she got a new bumper. She had them place the lights back in, but never plugged them in. I have no clue why. So where would I have to plug them in at? So to answer the AM question, I believe they were purchased with the option to install them.