Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Finding the right lock actuator

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:56 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Finding the right lock actuator

The mechanical part of my door lock works fine. Am using the key and thumb button to operate the door now because I removed the electrical actuator. Power flows to the actuator when the lock switch or fob is used and I can hear the motor trying to move but nothing happens, seems the actuator is locked up internally.

The problem is that I can not find this actuator anywhere! You can see in the pic that it has three separate wire connections. I can find many places online that carry this exact actuator with only two connections. The one the arrow points to is not on the replacement actuators available. Does anyone know what this extra set of contacts is for? Can I find the same actuator? Will it hurt anything if I use the one lacking the extra contacts? Thanks for any input you have.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lockActuator.jpg (34.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Default Diagram?

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the door locks handy? That would help determine if the options available will work. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
Old 04-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The actuator has 3 terminals because it is bi-directional. The center terminal is the power feed, and the 2 outer terminals are grounds. Depending on which ground is utilized to complete the circuit the door either locks or unlocks. Maybe add bi-directional to your search keywords and you might find a replacement. Another option would be to source one through a parts house.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:38 AM
Default Explanation

On the pic posted above you can see three connections, one of them has 2 pins and obviously is power to the solenoid. There is a 4 pin connector that is for the lock and unlock control. My question was about the two pin connector with the arrow pointing to it, it appears to be a set of output contacts. I don't know what these contacts are for and they are the ones missing from all replacements parts available. I need to know what these contacts are for.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have you physically seen the replacement part, or just a picture online? A lot of times the picture is only for reference and won't exactly resemble the actual part you get. My schematic is very basic and only shows the hot/ground connections. At this point the only suggestions I have would be to call and have the counterperson physically inspect the part to make sure it matches - or - pull the OE number off the actuator and call a few part houses. Hopefully you will get in touch with an experienced counterperson that knows how to use a cross reference/interchange guide to track down the correct part for you.