Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

fiberglass work

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default fiberglass work

hey guys...
ive been thinking of doing some more "custom" work on my car over the summer, and thought about trying to make a low profile fiberglass wing, that would sit a few inches at most off the rear of my car (like half the normal rice look) and use the factory holes from my pace spoiler. I want to keep the car as close to reversible as possible so the less drilling I need to do the better. My big problem is this would be the first fiberglass work I would have done and I need some advice. the time I'll have... the knowlege is what i lack right now.

I plan on taking high density foam and making my initial shape, using small pins to hold it together trough the foam, and using metal plates for the bottom that has a nut to match the bolts for the spoiler to hold it to the trunk. that will keep the spoiler attached, but, my big problem is will the foam hold up to the chemicals from the fiberglass? I would do a good 3 or 4 layers and let it sit. then, after its hardened, sand it down to paint, get it sprayed, clear coated and attach it without having to redrill and repaint more than I have to... what other concerns should I be having right now?

Old 04-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Default RE: fiberglass work

I did some fiberglass work on my amp rack and sub box and the biggest thing I can tell you is take your time. It is a very slow process that can not be rushed. As for the foam I did not use it so I can not help you there. Do some searching on the net there are alot of good site that will help you get ideas. Hope this helps some.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

do you perhaps have any good websites to show and explain how to properly fiberglass, or, is it pretty much correct by how I plan on doing it? Is there any extra steps that I'm missing?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:22 AM

it is a shame i cant remeber when it aired but Muscal car TV on spike just showed somethign liek this not to long ago.

they were making fender flairs for the rustang they were workign on .

they did the same thing with the foam then glass and then they also showed how to rev. it so tha tyou could use it as a pattren to a mold so you could make more then one easily.

But the idea you have is a good one i think it will work for ya. but make real sure that you have plenty of time.
do not rush anythign part of it. and also on your final coats if you take saranwrap and ly it on to it and smooth it out , it will help you from having to sand so much. just lay it down and let the stuff set up. before you sand tear it off and go fo it.

But i would think that a high density foam will be fine on those fenders they used floral foam for thier pattren first.
cut it with a ele. knife from a thrift shop. the biggest things is make sure you have space,good ventalition and also pateiance this is a long slow prosses but if done well worth it in the end.
Also whn you get to the final coat. sand it till it is smooth then take a small thin coat of finishing putty over it and sand lightly . then it will cover any imprefections on the glass and also make for a real smooth surface tha tyou other wise cat get with glass eaisly.

for web sites
look for things like buildign speaker pods. they have the same idea behind them so that you can see it.
also look up fender flairs you might get lucky on that one.

and dont feel to bad i have seriously though tof making my own kit fo rthe ground effects on mine i sont liek the ones on the market but really would like to have something on it to help its apperance.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:37 PM

I believe you were talking about this.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/sites/mu...mp;ep_sea=0702

Old 04-21-2008, 06:04 PM

yeah that would be the right show.
they did the fender flares on teh rustang so they had to make them wide enough to make the racing standards for that class and that car.