Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Exploded view of exhaust system - cat delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
The risk is virtually 0. If someone is driving over solidly mounted obstacles that are higher than the bottom of the exhaust, then they're going to be tearing all kinds of other stuff up too (suspension, mufflers, bodywork, etc).

In all the years of seeing people do U bend deletes, I've never personally seen an O2 sensor literally broken off.
Agreed that the risk is very low, but years ago, I ran over a battery left in the middle of a dark country road and it tore off the rubber donut support and bent the mount it attached to; had the O2 sensor been sideways, it would have been gone. But then again, my tv antenna was struck by lightning 2 years ago, so ..... your experiences may be different.

Old 09-08-2022, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Glen01SS
Agreed that the risk is very low, but years ago, I ran over a battery left in the middle of a dark country road and it tore off the rubber donut support and bent the mount it attached to; had the O2 sensor been sideways, it would have been gone.
I was just saying that the chances of that happening are so low for the typical driver that its not worth worrying about (and if it is frequent, he really needs a lifted truck instead, lol)

That situation you mentioned has to statistically be a near lottery winning odds type of accident:
-Object is just short enough to clear the body but just tall enough to hit a sideways O2 (which is only maybe a 1-2" total range -any shorter and it misses practically everything, any taller and it destroys the engine cradle)
-Object passes under the car in the narrow 6" wide area where the O2 will reside
-Driver doesn't see said object in time
-No lower cars pass through the area + hit the object between the time its dropped and the time you come through (as an object that would hit the O2 on a relatively high monte would obliterate the front end on something like a sports car, compact/subcompact car, etc.)

One other interesting note is that the later W body cars got rid of the U bend completely from the factory and just hang the O2 sensor off the side like the aftermarket downpipes do.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 09-09-2022 at 09:51 AM.