Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by bbengineer
The airbag/seatbelt issue may be tied to the ignition, but more likely a corroded connector on one of the seats. I guess it could be a bad SDM if the connectors look good

The airbags aren't routed thru the BCM at all, so it's not likely a BCM issue either

BBEngineer

Actually I do believe it was the SDM that the dealership told me was bad. Would also explain why the first garage couldnt even get a trouble code out of it. But, if it was bad, why would it just randomly start working again with no hiccups?

And is that by any chance located on the front passenger side of the car?

Old 02-08-2017, 05:57 PM

I have a 2000 MC SS and today my abs, brake, and battery lights started flashing. On for about 2 seconds then off for 5-10 seconds then back on. Battery gauge at 12v.

Old 07-17-2021, 01:35 PM

[QUOTE=Poseign;348353]This is my first post on these forums, I'm kinda hoping the MC community can give me some insights. I'm having some extremely strange issues.

I have a 2000 MC LS with the 3.4L v6

This all started about 5 months ago. My airbag light came on when starting the car. While the airbag light was on, my seat belt light would not come on and the chimes to indicate a seat belt was not buckled would not sound. I shut the car off, turned it back on and the light did not come back on, other than its normal flashing when the car is started, and the seat belt light and chimes returned. This happened a couple more times randomly, not on every start. Each time, shutting the car off and restarting it would make the light go off.

Then the light started to come on every time the car was started, and a restart did nothing to fix it, HOWEVER randomly while driving my ABS light, Brake Light, and Battery Light would flash for about 2 seconds, the airbag light would disappear, then the other three lights would disappear like nothing ever happened, and everything returned to normal. I took it to a dealership, they said that the module that controls those warning lights was bad, and offered to order the replacement module as they were not carrying one. I decided to wait on it until I had the 400 extra dollars required to do the repair. But before I could have the part ordered, the entire issue just disappeared, and that airbag light issue has not presented itself since. Its been about 3 months. I have not had that module replaced.

The reason I bring that story up is because I'm wondering if its related to my newest set of issues. About 2 months ago, I finished up with work and went out to my car, tried to start it and it would not turn over. The click of the starter could be heard, and all my dashboard lights went off, my radio went off, but it wouldn't turn over. 15 minutes and about a dozen tries later, it started up as if nothing was wrong. Since then this has happened 4 times, each time the same deal, randomly within 20 minutes from the first attempt it would turn over like nothing happened.

I've had a couple of infrequent instances (about 3 or 4 times) where the security light will come on and stay on shortly after starting the car. This started during the issue I had with the airbag light, and the last time it presented itself was about a month ago.

Last week, I had the battery tested and replaced. The test was showing the battery putting out about half the power it normally should, and I thought maybe that would explain the starting issues. I have not had an issue with the car not turning over since (Doesn't mean much as its only been a week). But just this morning after pulling out of my driveway, the car completely lost electrical power for about half a second, long enough for the car to shut off while I was driving down my road.

My question is do you think that these issues are related to one specific problem? And if so, what?

I was thinking a bad ground could be causing some of the problems, or maybe even the module that the dealership wanted to replace months ago?

Sorry, I know this is a
Hi, so you described my car almost exactly. My car has not lost power while driving but other than that, everything. Did you ever figure out what the problem was, or wasn't??

Old 12-14-2022, 10:50 PM
Default Same here! Any answers? Don't see any

Help. Ditto. Almost exactly my problem..don't see any answers 😕

[QUOTE=Nicki;726133]
Originally Posted by Poseign
This is my first post on these forums, I'm kinda hoping the MC community can give me some insights. I'm having some extremely strange issues.

I have a 2000 MC LS with the 3.4L v6

This all started about 5 months ago. My airbag light came on when starting the car. While the airbag light was on, my seat belt light would not come on and the chimes to indicate a seat belt was not buckled would not sound. I shut the car off, turned it back on and the light did not come back on, other than its normal flashing when the car is started, and the seat belt light and chimes returned. This happened a couple more times randomly, not on every start. Each time, shutting the car off and restarting it would make the light go off.

Then the light started to come on every time the car was started, and a restart did nothing to fix it, HOWEVER randomly while driving my ABS light, Brake Light, and Battery Light would flash for about 2 seconds, the airbag light would disappear, then the other three lights would disappear like nothing ever happened, and everything returned to normal. I took it to a dealership, they said that the module that controls those warning lights was bad, and offered to order the replacement module as they were not carrying one. I decided to wait on it until I had the 400 extra dollars required to do the repair. But before I could have the part ordered, the entire issue just disappeared, and that airbag light issue has not presented itself since. Its been about 3 months. I have not had that module replaced.

The reason I bring that story up is because I'm wondering if its related to my newest set of issues. About 2 months ago, I finished up with work and went out to my car, tried to start it and it would not turn over. The click of the starter could be heard, and all my dashboard lights went off, my radio went off, but it wouldn't turn over. 15 minutes and about a dozen tries later, it started up as if nothing was wrong. Since then this has happened 4 times, each time the same deal, randomly within 20 minutes from the first attempt it would turn over like nothing happened.

I've had a couple of infrequent instances (about 3 or 4 times) where the security light will come on and stay on shortly after starting the car. This started during the issue I had with the airbag light, and the last time it presented itself was about a month ago.

Last week, I had the battery tested and replaced. The test was showing the battery putting out about half the power it normally should, and I thought maybe that would explain the starting issues. I have not had an issue with the car not turning over since (Doesn't mean much as its only been a week). But just this morning after pulling out of my driveway, the car completely lost electrical power for about half a second, long enough for the car to shut off while I was driving down my road.

My question is do you think that these issues are related to one specific problem? And if so, what?

I was thinking a bad ground could be causing some of the problems, or maybe even the module that the dealership wanted to replace months ago?

Sorry, I know this is a
Hi, so you described my car almost exactly. My car has not lost power while driving but other than that, everything. Did you ever figure out what the problem was, or wasn't??

Old 01-16-2023, 08:51 PM

[QUOTE=00LS6THGEN;730987]Help. Ditto. Almost exactly my problem..don't see any answers 😕

Hey there!

Imagine this, you actually hear back from the same person that started this thread a decade ago! I just happened to see this post while doing some looking through old accounts and noticed your post is still pretty new, so I'll do the best that I can.

So, it's been a LONG time. But I believe the resolution to the whole problem was the new battery. After replacing the battery and securing the connections I don't believe I ever saw these issues arise again. When a battery hits end of life it can do some weird things and my theory was that dips in voltage was causing the unexpected electrical issues.

Old 01-17-2023, 07:58 AM

[QUOTE=Poseign;731196]
Originally Posted by 00LS6THGEN
Help. Ditto. Almost exactly my problem..don't see any answers 😕

Hey there!

Imagine this, you actually hear back from the same person that started this thread a decade ago! I just happened to see this post while doing some looking through old accounts and noticed your post is still pretty new, so I'll do the best that I can.

So, it's been a LONG time. But I believe the resolution to the whole problem was the new battery. After replacing the battery and securing the connections I don't believe I ever saw these issues arise again. When a battery hits end of life it can do some weird things and my theory was that dips in voltage was causing the unexpected electrical issues.
Lol nice.