Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Electrical hell

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Default RE: Electrical hell

ORIGINAL: Tiderfish

Any idea why the Low Tire Pressure light will not turn off?

That's due to the bad wheel hub speed sensor.. the Tire Pressure doesn't actually measure tire pressure... it measures wheel speed. When it see a wheel spinning a significantly different rate than the rest, it assume you have low tire pressure. A bad speed sensor looks like low tire pressure... as soon as you shut it off, it detects it again

As far as the climate LEDs, IROC is correct... it's due to an open circuit on the dimmer... even when the lights are off, the dimmer wire doesn't float... with a bad switch, it's likely floating and that leaves enough current to play tricks with the LEDs

BBEngineer

Old 11-09-2006, 04:41 PM

Thanks again for all this great information. I am starting to think it's not a hopeless cause!

As for the tire pressure light, is there a way to disable the system entirely? I know when my tire pressure is low. I check them regularly.

If it is a bad hub sensor, could that be responsible for the power loss during left turns?

Matt|ttaM

Old 11-11-2006, 08:12 PM

Just had the tire pressure sensor come on tonight; ironically right after I filled them up.

Here is the correct process.

1. Turn the dome light on by turning the headlight **** clockwise.
2. Pull the **** out 1 click and push back in - repeat 3 times.
3. The radio should make a ding sound and the light should go off.
4. Turn the dome light back off.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the responce. I have tried it as you mentioned. Could it be that since that light switch is partially burned out, as mentioned in this post. https://montecarloforum.com/m_17440/tm.htm

Could this be the reason it's not resetting the tire pressure light?

Matt|ttaM

Old 11-13-2006, 07:12 PM

It's a possiblility I wouldn't rule out. It's always amazing on how one thing can effect so many others. I see you also searched the junkyards and I already checked ebay. I guess I would keep checking ebay for awhile as parts are always poping up there.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:24 AM

When resetting the low tire light..ive NEVER turned the dome light on. Just leave it in the normal position so the dome light is off. The pull it to the first click and press it back in, do that 3 times, you should also hear a chime through the radio and the light will reset when done right. you should ALWAYS reset the system when resetting or adjusting the tire pressure. Even if you check the pressure regularly the system is designed to work as the caris being driven, there is no way to disable it. It amazes me all the saftey features people want to dissable on cars.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:54 PM

ORIGINAL: 02montels

It amazes me all the saftey features people want to dissable on cars.
I have had this car since 2001. The low tire pressure has saved me once. Not counting all the time it has been active in the past 6 months, it has lied to me 11 times. It pops up, says I have low pressure. I immidatly stop. Inspect the tires, check the pressure, nothing. A system that delivers that many fals positives, is not a worth-while safty system.

Matt|ttaM

Old 11-24-2006, 05:24 PM

It's saved me a few times from shredding a tire. I had a broken screw that had gone into the tread and screwed itself below the tire tred so the rubber covered it up but left a small crack that only appeared really when I spun the tires. The shop had to take the tire off the rim to find it themselves.

So while I hate the system, I'll deal with it over replacing $200 tires.