Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Ecocool......Get rid of it......

Old 06-02-2005, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Ecocool......Get rid of it......

I just returned from the dealer with my car and my conversation with my SW was fairly interesting.

Of course my questions revolved around Dexcool. (or as I now call it ecocool) It turns out the birth of Ecocool was due to the rash of deaths involved when green stuff is consumed. I suppose your suppose to live after drinking ecocool vs the good ole green stuff. BTW: My SW did not find the humor in that.

Anyway, I was learned on what happens and what to look for but I am switching anyway. He confirmed the problems associated with the stuff coming in contact with air, it does fine as long as your system is closed with zero leaks. For the most part, a newer vehicle will not see leaks for quite some time so were probably pretty safe the first couple of years of ownership or at least to 30K..

The other thing that bothers me about this is it being an eco thing and not so much a technical thing. You know what happens when the EPA and our government gets a hold of things like this.

Just my .02.......

TVW

Old 06-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Default RE: Ecocool......Get rid of it......

jus tone question for ya.

Prestone or someting else? LOL

Old 06-02-2005, 05:45 PM

That is a very good question that I have not thought about yet.

What ever it is it will not be the cheap stuff. Anyone have any suggestions on green stuff?

I'll do a little research in the meantime.

TVW

Old 06-02-2005, 05:48 PM

let me know what ya fnd out/

i will be changing mine over soon also

Old 06-02-2005, 07:36 PM

hey what did he say about the leack plugs that they put in the rad. did he say to leave them in or flush them out also . did he recomend putting some back in there?
figured i had better ask before i get this done or do it my self
biggest thing is over here finding a power flush of any kind

Old 06-03-2005, 12:59 AM

ORIGINAL: tvanwinklehome

I just returned from the dealer with my car and my conversation with my SW was fairly interesting.

Of course my questions revolved around Dexcool. (or as I now call it ecocool) It turns out the birth of Ecocool was due to the rash of deaths involved when green stuff is consumed. I suppose your suppose to live after drinking ecocool vs the good ole green stuff. BTW: My SW did not find the humor in that.

Anyway, I was learned on what happens and what to look for but I am switching anyway. He confirmed the problems associated with the stuff coming in contact with air, it does fine as long as your system is closed with zero leaks. For the most part, a newer vehicle will not see leaks for quite some time so were probably pretty safe the first couple of years of ownership or at least to 30K..

The other thing that bothers me about this is it being an eco thing and not so much a technical thing. You know what happens when the EPA and our government gets a hold of things like this.

Just my .02.......

TVW

Good point on the EPA comment.

I will be at the dealer tomorrow to get my new stereo put in and I will talk to the techs there to get some input on this as well.

Old 06-03-2005, 12:37 PM

I will be at the dealer tomorrow to get my new stereo put in and I will talk to the techs there to get some input on this as well.
Please do, I would like to see if they are on the same page.

Old 06-07-2005, 03:55 AM

ORIGINAL: tvanwinklehome

Just my .02.......

TVW

i agree about the gov.thing, at the first sight of problems i'm going green

Old 06-08-2005, 02:19 AM

Instead of green, im going w/Zerex G-05....if it's good enough for Mercedes Benz, it's good enough for me.